Not worthy of an ER visit, but what in the world could I have done? Anyone shed some light?

Yesterday my hand was a bit sore on the top, this morning I woke up and my fingers are swollen like sausages, I can't make a fist and I have pain going all over the top of my hand up to my elbow.
I have been icing it and elevating it, not any bruising anywhere, but touching the top of my hand sends me in to orbit.
Any clues? LOL If it continues on, I will make an appointment with the doctor Monday!

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2013 in Health

• Often, RA starts with these kinds of episodes. Not sure if you have any history of arthritis in your family but I definitely think it's something you probably should get checked out by your regular physician. Urgent care can probably help you with pain management until you can get in.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 7:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Do you see any bite marks, such as a spider maybe?
    Myself, I'd go to Urgent Care just to be sure.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 6:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Since it is only the one hand, what I normally think is probably totally wrong which is too much salt which causes the tissues to swell.
    It still would not hurt to reduce the salt for a little while and drink plenty of water.

Have you examined your hand and wrist? You can get a bite or a splinter in the oddest places. A friend got a cat hair imbedded in the skin where the nail joins the finger. I have gotten splinters under a nail. If you see a bite or splint puncture, you can soak your hand in warm epsom salts which help to draw out the offending infection or "splinter".
    If it is not better by Monday, I would definitely go to the doctor. You may even want to go to urgent care tomorrow, if it is not better.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Did you twist it somhow, or maybe sleep on it wrong?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Were you doing anything repetitive with your hands yesterday?
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 6:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• lol OP
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• I have no clue, but sure hope it heals quick and you start feeling better soon!

Answer by older at 7:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• No I checked there is no bite marks or anything, I don't recall hitting it on anything, I am almost thinking some kind of pinched nerve. My hand is twice the size of the other one.
    I will go to Urgent Care tom. the ice seems to be helping with the swelling.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Not anything out of the ordinary, no sweeping or mopping or scrubbing. Yesterday was pretty lame as far as actvitiy, and it is really the top of my hand that is making me crazy!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• Brawn, I was going to be nasty and say I am sure my husband wishes I had been!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2013