2 year old and still does baby talk

Except speaking my son does everything which a two-year old can do. He babbles a lot and is able to explain whatever he want. He is also able to follow 2 line statements. Honestly speaking what I feel is that he is not willing to talk elsewise if he will try he can speak. We talked to his pediatrician also about this and he said that there is no need to go for Early Intervention. Its only that some children are late talkers. Though he suggested us that we should make some friends who have children of his age . Does anybody has some other suggestion which I can try to make my child talk? Please help, sometimes I get real worried.

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Babbles how? He can effectively communicate with you? When he NEEDS to talk, he can? Trying to be clear on what you believe the problem is.

Best thing you can do is talk to him. Ask him questions that he can answer. Have him sing ABCs to you. Even TV programs where children are encouraged to answer the character can be helpful, like Dora the Explorer or Blues Clues (is that still around?).

You can always get a second opinion too.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2013

• You say he does baby talk and I am confused because you say he speaks clearly when he wants something.
    Do you mean he mumbles to himself when he is playing? Or do you mean he says cutesy words instead of normal speech?
    If he is babbling to himself it is no big deal. If he is doing cutesy, it is only because this is what has been spoken to him. My kids were never talked to as anything but humans LOL and never learned the baby talk. If you want him to talk you need to talk to him.
    Either way talking to him more and expecting answers and conversation back is part of learning to communicate. On the other hand many children just do not feel the need to make sound and so do not talk that much even into adulthood.
    I am fond of baby Einsteins programs because they stimulate the brain on many levels.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2013

• I agree with your pedi. He needs to meet children of his age. Not for his speech but because interaction with other children is essential to his development from many points of view.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2013

• Do you talk to him normally. Do you try to make him talk? Like when he wants something.

Answer by louise2 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2013

• I would call early intervention and get an evaluation. Pediatricians are notorious for their "wait and see" attitude. The earlier you find out if there is a delay and start therapy, the better it is for your child. If the eval shows your son is on target, then you at least have peace of mind.

Answer by missanc at 10:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2013

• When he wants something although you might understand what he wants repeat the words he needs to use before you give him what he wants.....repeat the same over and over again, until he gives you feedback...

Answer by older at 8:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• My son was the same. He was so busy running and being physical, and he could point and babble to get what he needed, so he didn't need to talk. I started to say " use your words". "Please", "thank you" and any other polite repetitive word was a must for him to get what he wanted. I also had him repeat things that he wanted.... If he wanted his bottle he had to say bottle. It was a little frustrating for him because he had to try but eventually he got what he wanted and was practicing talking. Singing songs with simple repetitious words was also a huge help because he really wanted to join in with the songs more than anything else.
    Sp2014

Answer by Sp2014 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2014

• Go with whet the doc said!
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 3:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2014

• They are all difrent. don't start worying yet.
    Alazne

Answer by Alazne at 10:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2014

• Whenever I talk to my son I say don't whine to get a bottle just say bottle. Then I give him the bottle. Hopefully he will connect the word he is hearing to what he recieving.
    Sgrommet84

Answer by Sgrommet84 at 2:54 AM on Feb. 28, 2014