WWYD? Asperger's child and anger problems.

DS is 10 and has Asperger's. I am over it. We have been working for years to get his anger under control. The school ABA, he is in line for private ABA, medication, psychiatrist, psychologist, therapist, horse back riding, play therapy... you name it. We are consistent, we follow the protocols given to us. Still he hits, bites, spits and hurts us. Today he almost made DH wreck the car. He was screaming death threats to us and biting us while we tried to get him home. I am over it. I wanted to drive him right over to the hospital to be restrained. DH said no and brought him home where he once again destroyed the house.

WWYD with him when he gets over the top angry like this. His sister is terrified to be around him anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2013 in Special Needs

• I swear I am raising the next Sandy Hook shooter despite my best efforts. I am seriously considering institutionalizing him in the next few years. He is too much to handle when he gets like this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• My son is 10, and has Asperger's AND adhd. one of the best things we've done for him was enroll him in martial arts. We go to ATA, or American Taekwondo Association. We've just recently switched our focus of teaching from one of memorizing forms, to more workouts on the heavy bags. Every week the students focus on around 5 techniques and whale away on the bags to perfect those techniques.

Mind you, this is not just beating the crap out of an inanimate object any old way. The students have certain things they need to focus on to make their technique the best they can.

Since we started this new teaching style I've seen a LOT less anger in my own child. He still has his moments, he's 10 and a boy. But it IS helping him.

PM me if you want more information or have more questions.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• Has he had a full blood workup?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• He had a full blood work up and EKG 9 months ago before starting meds. We have also modified his diet to eliminate artificial everything and HFCS
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• We tried TKD and he did great for a while but then got kicked out for having outburst and trying to throw a chair through the window.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• He still does therapy riding. He has never had one problem with his horse back riding. It amazes me. 3 years and they have never seen one melt down. Ever.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• What school? There is US TKD, ATA, and a couple others.

I HIGHLY recommend ATA. Granted, it's the only school we've been to, but ALL our instructors have been MORE than willing to work with us and help us deal with him.

We get a magazine quarterly called ATA World. In every edition there is at least one, usually two, about how ATA has helped kids with Autism and other Special Needs diagnoses.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• All I know is they were AAU members... There are not a lot of choices around here and most of them are out of our price range. This place was willing to work with us , money wise, up until he kept trying to destroy things and hurt people.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• What does his dr say as far as trying different medications? Do you have a local autism society or special needs community? I know locally where I would take my son but not sure what resources are in other areas. The place for my son is a hospital where they remove all medications, then try one at a time until they find one that works. One of my friends had her aggressive son there for 6 weeks. He came home a different child.

Answer by missanc at 3:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• He is only on two meds right now and one we actually just started last month. He is on Tennex and Prozac. We she the psych again in 3 weeks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2013