When did you child start taking showers?

At what age did your child start taking showers instead of baths(or more showers then baths)?

My son is 6 and he will not take a shower. But I think a large part of that is that he doesn't like the sensory part(sound of running water, water hitting his body etc). My husband doesn't seem to understand that.

So just curious when everyone else's kids started taking showers.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Around 8 they started taking showers instead of baths. My younger two (3 and 5) take showers with dad and we have a handheld sprayer that they hold so they can feel in control. Maybe that wound help?

Answer by missanc at 3:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• DS, who has sensory issues, was 8. DD, who has no sensory issues was 5 but it was not her preferred method. Even at 6 she prefers a bath.
    Anonymous

• My oldest was about 8, my youngest had just turned 6.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• Mine started taking showers pretty young, around 4 or 5. There dad is a coach and they'd go to practice with him and then shower off just like the players did. So they got used to showers
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• Missanc we had a hand held in the past and he still wanted nothing to do with it. He doesn't like the sound of running water which is I think the biggest hurtle. He just now has started to be able to be in the bathroom when filling up the tub but not in or near it.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• It depends, my 3 and 5 year old occasionally take showers now. Usually because we tell them to for time or another reason but they would probably always choose a bath for the play time.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• Like 3. He's 5 now and takes showers more often than baths though he still enjoys taking baths so he can play around. Showers are just easier and quicker.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• When my son was two my dad kept him one evening while I was at work. He went to give him a bath and accidentally turned the shower on instead. It scared him so bad that he would take even attempt to take a shower until he was nearly 7 years old. I had to turn the shower on first and then have him get in. He is 9 now and he will only take showers if I tell him that he has to (due to time constraints). His dad only takes baths unless he has no other choice. I am the only one who takes showers. As long as he is getting clean, I wouldn't worry about it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• My five-year-old takes showers now with help from me or her dad to wash her hair.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• I think he was about 8, he just preferred baths. At 17, he will still take baths.
    Anonymous