So does your little one ever just plain win the argument, hands down?

Mine did. She can be quite the little pack-rat, at almost six years old, never wanting to throw anything away, down to old coloring pages, even candy wrappers if she likes the pictures on them. It gets ridiculous. It's a constant tug-of-war in our house, trying to get her to part with stuff. She got a bunch of new Zhu Zhu hamsters for Christmas, so I suggested it might be time to retire the orange one with the broken gears inside. Of course, she protested, saying that the hamster still squeaked and that she could move him from place to place since his wheels no longer worked, and claiming that his brothers and sisters would miss him if we got rid of him.

I might have argued the point, but then she burst out, "Mom, your eyes don't work, and I don't see anybody getting rid of you!"

What could I say to that? The orange hamster is staying. I'm thinking I better start saving up to put my kindergartner through law school.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• LOL some times, and some days, they're just TOO smart for their own good.

About a year ago we had the following conversation at Subway:
    Ok, it's our turn now, what do you want?
    A sandwich.

EVERYONE that heard the interaction did their best not to start visibly laughing, but a LOT of shoulders were shaking pretty hard. Listen here you little shit.....you're not supposed to be a smart ass to ME.....at least not when you're FIVE!!

Eh, she learned well from her dad and I. It's a hilarious story to tell now. Was funny at the time too.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Lol! Sometimes you have to say. "Point welL taken," and move on. Mine is a pack rat, and a bit of a smarty pants, too. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• LOL. Yeah, you have to give her that one....
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• You're going to have a bitch of a time the first time a goldfish dies...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• You might just. Mine was like that and guess what she is doing, other than raising a baby, and she married a lawyer as well. LOL.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Kids!
    Haha, yup- she won that one ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• LOL! She got ya there mom. The teen years oughta be a blast! LOL ;p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I'm going to be the lone grump in this one. Making a good point is good and fine but she ended up not having to do what you'd told her to do. My kids weren't allowed to argue themselves out of chores, regardless of the merit of their task. In my opinion, they need to start learning that what you say goes because you're the adult and you've told them what is expected of them. What is cute at 5 or 6 is no longer cute at 15. It's much better to start out right then have to try to correct course midstream
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 11:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I agree with Brawn and my take on what she said is that YOU are a person not a toy or a thing.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2013