Speaking of Christmas songs ...

My brother was leading some songs at the party we had this morning, and he had printed up pamphlets for everybody to sing along. But he'd gone and changed some of the words to eliminate sexist language. He said it was fine because the songs were old enough to be in the public domain and it was about time people started updating the way the hymns were sung. So,, like for Joy to the world, instead of:

Joy to the world, the Savior reigns
Let men their songs employ
While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains
Repeat the sounding joy

He wrote:

Joy to the world, the Savior reigns
Let us our songs employ ...

I wasn't upset or anything, exactly, but it seemed peculiar. Some of the older members of the family didn't like it at all. Some of the younger members thought it was great, and some people just felt sort of uneasy about it like I did, as if it was kind of tampering with something familiar. Not wrong or right, necessarily, just different.

Thoughts?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2013 in Holidays

• I wouldn't have sang a song written differently than the way it should go. I don't like change where change isn't necessary.

Your brother strikes me as pretty peculiar to begin with though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I'd be in the waffling (wassailing?) group. While it's great to get caught up with modern times, those classic carols were NOT written in OUR modern times. If it's ain't broke, don't fix it.

yes, I'm female. BUT, I'm also part of the huMAN race. i interpret that particular like to include ALL bipedal humanoids, not just the idiots with something dangling between their legs. (Ok, kind of sorry about that last bit, but I'm not feeling the best right now and it's all my hubby's fault, and my dad's)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• IMO the song is written the way it was. You are not supposed to go and change the wording in great novels or poems and you should not do it in hymns either. That is just my opinion. If you don't like the wording, write your own son, but leave another's work of art alone.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• well, I'm not big on change so...

I also agree with Dardenella- the song was written that way and should stay that way in my opinion.
    I feel the same with all music- even if I don't like the message or the words used, and if that is the case -then I don't listen to it or sing it at all
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2013