Why won't she go to sleep, for goodness sake?

My kiddo is dead tired. She could barely walk up the stairs two hours ago. Crying over nothing. And she won't go the f**k to sleep. Which is why I'm not going the f**k to sleep. I'd give her a hundred bucks if she'd drift off, so I could go to bed, instead of sitting here, almost in tears I'm so spent, posting random questions on the Internet to keep myself from losing my mind or melting intoa puddle in my chair. What's the deal? All she has to do is close her eyes! Aaaagh!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's like... the worst situation ever. You know when you're so overtired that you find it hard to relax and go to sleep? That's exactly what's wrong with her. Of course when it happens to us, we usually know that all we have to do is calm down and, chances are, we'll pass the eff out. She doesn't know that. She's just frustrated and overtired and can't relax. I like the suggestions of cuddling (though I'm not being rude about it), perhaps read a book together (something boring?) or even lay down and watch a movie - my son tends to pass out when there's a distraction there, and so do I.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I've seen it ALL the time in my kids. They get SO tired that they can't fall asleep. They're afraid they'll miss something. So, instead of doing the smart thing, and just going to sleep; they'll fight sleep with everything they have, making everyone around them, and themselves, totally miserable.

I've found that it helps to cuddle with them on the couch or in a rocking chair, or even in my bed. They fall asleep within minutes, and everyone can be happy again.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Holiday excitement gets them off schedule. Having a meltdown over this seems silly. Wait until the teen years, you will be beside yourself!
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:59 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Next time this happens give her a warm bath with some warm milk (with cinnamon and nutmeg) and stay calm. Kids feed off the energy we put out. If you're in a high state of freak out over it then she's going to react to that
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 11:08 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• First off, she wasn't crying over nothing. She was so tired she couldn't sleep so her emotions were rampid. YOU said in your post you were almost in tears so if her not sleeping can bring YOU to tears why can't it make her cry?

Secondly, why were you on the internet instead of trying to lay with her, snuggle, sing, read a book etc?

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I like the snuggle Idea. These poor little ones get SO worked up sometimes.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Have you tried some warm milk or cocoa? She is so tired she simply can not shut off.
    I can't remember what is release when the milk is heated but it does help relax and set the stage for sleep.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I guess you are the "make her go back to bed" type person.

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I don't get why your kid has to be asleep for you to go to sleep. She's knows to stay in her room right? Then just go to bed. This makes no sense.
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 12:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2013