What brand of food do you feed your cat?

Hello,

I got a cat back in March and she seems to prefer Purina Indoor Formula Cat Chow. The trouble is that I'm not sure it's filling enough for her. Right now we're feeding her about half a cup to three-quarters a cup. She's ALWAYS hungry; she wants to be fed at least four times a day (which would equate to 1c-1.5c).

Are we feeding her too little or is it the quality of her food?

Either way, what brand do you prefer to feed your cat? Do you also give them wet food as a treat or is it best to avoid wet food altogether?

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 3:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2013 in Pets

• Weigh her and check out the pack for how much you should be feeding her. Are you giving her enough fresh water?

I feed mine Iams.

As for wet and dry - it all depends. A lot of cats that eat exclusively (or nearly exclusively) dry food can get upset stomachs if you give them wet food occasionally. Remember that "treats" tend to be for humans and that cats really don't have the notion of that :) Yes, they'll be happy to eat it but treats aren't necessary.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Our kitten eats Purina. According to the package, he's supposed to eat about a cup, or up to 2 cups a day (I think), so it doesn't sound to me like your cat is eating too much, but read the package of the specific food you're feeding, since it may be different. Our general rule is when the food dish is empty, we fill it. If he started looking overweight, or a vet said he was overweight, we'd change it. The only time he cries for food is if he's been cooped up in the boys bedroom all night (we have to keep him contained, or he'll get into EVERYTHING) and he comes out to an empty dish in the morning. Otherwise, we have no issues with him being hungry.

We don't do wet food. I had a cat before, and I've never done wet food. Can't stand it, and my other cat actually refused to eat it. We buy the little cat treats for treats, not wet food. We'll give him a couple of treats after a bath, or if he's been really well behaved.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Meow Mix indoor. I cup a day. Cats naturally want to eat all the time, since in the wild they have to hunt even before hungry.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I have two cats and I feed them Blue. They get 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the early evening. I agree with the PP that they do always act like they're starving so make it to where your cat always has a little in her bowl (even a 1/4 cup would be okay) as that tends to limit the stress about no food.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 8:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• LOL, Brawn, stress to the cat because it has no food or stress to the owner because they have a hungry cat hooked onto their trouser leg and it's wailing for food? :)
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• "LOL, Brawn, stress to the cat because it has no food or stress to the owner because they have a hungry cat hooked onto their trouser leg and it's wailing for food? :) "

The owner, definitely LOL! Nothing can guilt trip you like a cat :D
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 9:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• How old is she? I do feed my cats Purina but there are better foods out there. Blue Buffalo is a good one.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Dry food: 9 Lives ... I switch between the indoor and the one for urinary tract health. They also like Purina Indoor. They do not like Kit & Kaboodle. I think it is too hard. Even my dog doesn't like it.

Can food: they seem to really like Friskies but Bud will eat anything.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Fancy Feast dry. I don't buy wet food because I can't handle the smell, and my cats don't care for it anyway. The most they've ever done is lick the gravy off and then ignore the rest of it. I've tried switching to a healthier brand, but they both wind up going on a hunger strike.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Friskies Grillers. She was a stray but is picky about her food. We tried several different brands before discovering she really liked this one. We don't do wet food.

Answer by missanc at 12:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2013