• In the Spotlight:

2 terrorist attacks in 2 days...infants and pregnant women among the victims

This is today's attack:

http://rt.com/news/russia-volgograd-trolley-blast-957/

This is an account of someone living in the city:

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/1tzsu6/a_trolley_bus_blast_in_the_russian_city_of/ced5qmo

They don't know (or won't release) who is doing this, and the Olympics are just around the corner, but geography says it's most likely Chechen.  Since they obviously don't care who gets hit, and are specifically going after crowded civilian targets, should teams still go to Sochi?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Prior to the attacks I felt we shouldn't participate in the Olympics. These attacks further solidify my opinion on the matter.

To me, it would be like taking our teams to North Korea.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• it would be like taking our teams to North Korea.

Which is a pretty good description of Sochi right now. They are forcibly evicting anyone who doesn't have the exact proper living and car permits from all the towns where events are being held. Meanwhile, Putin is intentionally antagonizing one of the richest countries in the world, who already warned him that if he kept it up, they had no control over Chechen terrorists attacking the games. Well, gee, lookie there.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Here in Europe, we have the name of the first bomber (the one who blew up the station), Oksana Aslanova. She was already on the wanted list. You might like to google the name.

As for the winter olympics, from what they're saying about the security it will be so tight that virtually nothing will get through. Note that the woman blew herself up because she couldn't get past security in the station ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Here in Europe, we have the name of the first bomber (the one who blew up the station)

But that has nothing to do with who is behind it. She obviously did not act alone, since she was too dead to blow up today's target.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I agree with Brawns assessment about the Olympics and Russia's views on gays.

It says a lot when our President and V.P. won't attend. I say we bag it and refuse to go!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• "the woman blew herself up because she couldn't get past security in the station"

But people will have to use the stations, correct? Not the athletes, perhaps, but regular people attending the games? It really doesn't matter too much with regard to my opinion anyway though because my opposition to this is related to Russia's horrific human rights policies and our tacit acceptance of such by our participation
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• That wasn't my point, NP. If you look up her name you'll find out who she was most likely working with. The information is out there ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• who she was most likely working with.

I'm not arguing that, my point is nobody is admitting it, and if they know, they aren't saying. We can speculate all day - and many people are, because in their world, all Muslims are terrorists - but in reality, with nobody taking credit, it's entirely possible the Oh NOES MUSLIMS! is a diversion from much larger plans. Putin has pissed off a LOT of people, the Saudis are only one group of them, and if it is them, they have hundreds of groups to choose from to hire.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• No. The teams should not go anywhere. There is just too much potential here....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Between this and the way Russia is dealing with homosexuals, I wish the US and other countries would boycott.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2013