How long did you wait before telling your older child/ren that you were pregnant?

I left my daughter's father like a year and a half ago. Well...here I am pregnant to my boyfriend of one year. My daughter loves him, but I'm nervous about announcing the pregnancy. I'm 11 weeks and really starting to show, but I've been able to hide it thus far. I know she will be super excited because she has no other siblings....I guess I'm worried about everyone else's reaction. It was definitely unplanned, but abortion is not for me plus I'm 35 and had thought my daughter would be an only child, so this is exciting but scary as hell.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I waited until I was pretty sure that I would carry the baby to term, about 3 months. I only told my husband, and our parents, and asked them not to say anything until we were past the 'danger period'.

Congratulations! How old is your daughter?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Our son was 2 when I got pregnant with our second so we waited until I was about 5 months along because it is an eternity for little ones to wait. But if he had been older I would have told him sooner.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I got pregnant with our second when our oldest was 2. I waited til about 2 months before my due date to say anything, because by that point I'd started dragging baby stuff out and buying things we'd need. He needed the explanation for what everything was for. It worked out fairly well because I wound up delivering early pretty soon after he found out.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I told my 7, 9 and 11 yo I was pregnant when I was around 2 1/2 months. I was very very sick, throwing up multiple times/day and they were worried about my health.

Answer by missanc at 12:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Thanks! My daughter is 5, but will turn 6 one week before the baby is born. I have to have a scheduled C-section, so their birthdays will be very close.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I waited until my Son asked why my belly was so big. Probably at 18 weeks. He was almost 5. I waited until I knew that the pregnancy was going well to avoid any unnecessary explaining if there was an issue.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• We (hubby and I) told our 10 and 6 year old as soon as we found out I was pregnant. We're not good at keeping secrets, especially since it took two years to conceive this one. I'm due May 30th.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I told my son I was pregnant at 12 weeks and then had a miscarriage. The next time I waited until I was 5 months. Kids don't notice your belly.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I waited until we knew the baby would be ok then we told my daughter who is 6 and she burst into tears cause she doesn't want me to have one so she cries about it a lot. My boyfriends other two we told after my daughter but they were excited about the baby. Now I just wish she'd come out before the end of the year lol
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 5:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• We waited until about 2 months, and then told our 5yr old, and he called grandma an grandpa and told them he was going to be a big bro.
    CKel

Answer by CKel at 9:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2013