When did you stop washing your little one's hair/body?

My daughter is 5 and while I let her wash her body, I still have to wash her hair. It's thick and down to her waist and ......well, she's just not ready to do it on her own.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dau started taking showers (instead of baths) when she was about 6 y/o. She had long hair too. I would let her do everything, but helped w/ the conditioner at first.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• mine 6.5
    i still give her a bath
    she is a ways away from doing on her own
    but we will get there
    she has some delays
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2013

• My son is 5 - he's in charge of washing his body (of course I usually have to make sure he actually does it) but I wash his hair. He just got new body wash with a loofa in his stocking, so it's much easier for him to get himself good and clean.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• D is 8 and I still have to help with his hair sometimes. He doesn't always get all of the shampoo out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Mine is five. She washes her body, but I still give her a quick rinse because she's not too good at getting all the soap off and then she ends up itching later, especially between the legs. I wash her hair, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• DD is only 3 but 8yo DS washes hair/body himself since he was 5yo
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• My son is 8. I still wash his hair.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I still lotion my seven year old from head to toe. He has sensory issues and fine motor issues. He has some eczema and other skin issues from allergies so I lotion. I asked his allergist about this and noted some people may find this odd. He reassured me this appropriate for now and will be for some time to come given my child's specific needs. We work on the washing and lotion but I know it will all come in time. He does wash his own body because the cleanser we use for him is not offend his tactile senses. I do supervise loosely to ensure he gets what needs to be done taken care of. I do wash his hair as well but only need to do it once every two weeks given his hair type. I say you know your child and what she is capable of. She won't be 25 and still need your assistance. You will know when. Good for the kids who can do this now but for those who can't I say they can't YET but will be able to in the near future.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2014