Cordless power drill... what would you recomend?

my dh needs a new drill I think we have a dewalt (sp ) and it never takes a charge.. 2 battaries and neaither charge.. :( so he needs a new drill but I want one that will actually last more then a few months.. any tips or brands... :)

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Dewalt is actually a good brand. I'd take the drill back to wear you bought it along with the battery's and charger. Somethings wrong.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• My brother is an electrician and he swears my Makita tools... http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Home/
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 12:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• My parents both work as electricians and they use Ryobi. They each have 3-4 batteries per drill so that they always have charged batteries, because they use them so much. They do have to buy new batteries now and then, but it's because they use them so much. How long has he had the drill and the batteries, and how much does he use it? It might just be that it's time for new batteries, if he's had them a long time and/or used them a lot.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• You may just have to buy new batteries. Sometimes batteries won't charge anymore unless they are run down all the way then recharged. Like a cordless hand vac for example. Once it starts to putter out of a charge, it's best to turn it on until it stops altogether then recharge. If you don't do that occasionally then you ruin the battery. We have two Ryobi's from Home Depot along with a whole set inluding a sawsall & it works great for many years so far.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Hubby has this one, and the smaller one. Ion batteries are the best to go with. He's had his for 2 years now..

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-2601-21-m18-18v-cordless-lithium-ion-compact-drill-driver/miln2601-21,default,pd.html&xsell=milwaukee-tools--milwaukee-cordless-tools--milwaukee-m18-tools--0
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• We've had a Dewalt for 8 years of heavy use (two major home renovations, and building a shed and extensive dock) and finally had to get a couple of new batteries about a year ago. If yours is only a few months old take it back. Dewalt is a good product and they'll take it back.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Makita
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Black and Decker 18 volt is what my DH and I have and each of us can use it easily and with good results.

Dewalt is a very good brand. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Ryobi is also has a very good one and Sears sells one that is very good. I would get nothing less than an 18 Volt.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2013