Help! 7mo with a bad habit, I have to break her of it!!

Please help me, my daughter will be 7 months in a week exactly. I've got to break her of needing a bottle to go to sleep. I originally thought thought it was just a phase and would only last a few days but it's gotten worse, it's turned in to an every day thing. She refuses to go to sleep for naps and at bedtime unless she has a bottle in her mouth.! I just read an article that said it could lead to tooth decay, which scared me. So I realized my efforts aren't good enough. How can I break her of such a bad habit? I don't know how it got so bad

parentofonelove

Asked by parentofonelove at 9:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put water in it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• She is only 7 months old. Give her formula/breast milk when she wants it. Relax.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• It's not the end of the world; take it easy. What you might try is starting to give her the bottle in your arms and then putting her down. See if she'll get sleepy that way and then you can slip brushing her teeth in between as she grows them in.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Only 7 months? I didn't even try that tell over a year old. That was 30 or so years ago.

Answer by louise2 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• Put water in it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• The only thing I see here that's concerning is that the bottle left in the mouth can lead to tooth decay. So you may need to resort to just rocking.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• It is also a choking hazard and increase the chance and severity of ear infections.
    You wait until she is relatively sleepy and you go through a routine. You pat her back, put on music whatever and you help her to ease into sleep.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Don't worry so much. When she hits 12 months put water in it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• I agree you might try water, but you need to develop a different sleep time routine........rocking, cuddling, singing, soft music, lights out........whatever works for you........and do the same thing every time for naps and bedtime. Get the baby to a groggy state and put her down. It is not too early for her to start self soothing. She may fuss for awhile in the beginning. Getting her to a groggy state is critical. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• I could tell before I read your name that you have only one child. Relax. There are much more alarming and worse things to come. This is nothing! Wait until she's a teen!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2013