Are there any school loans I can get that don't involve the government?

There is a school I want to go to in March, but it isn't a community college or a university. It's an LISD center with adult programs. It's $2600 for the whole class, and I won't be able to save up that much before I need to register.

They don't take FASFA loans so they won't take other government loans either. I need one to loan me the money directly. I don't have terrible credit but I can't get a credit card besides to stores. Any ideas? My husband has a Discover card but it's maxed out.

I really need to go to this school so I can have a career to better my family. Thanks in advance.

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 11:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• The only thing I can think of is to apply for a student loan through your bank.

Good luck.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• I agree with Ginger. A bank loan for the amount you cannot save up would be the wisest way to do this
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 11:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• What's an LISD center? I'm very leery here; usually schools that "don't take" government loans actually don't qualify because of poor graduation rates. Check out the graduation and placement rate before you go to this school.

What will you be studying?

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• If they don't take FASFA or government loans I would be skeptical about what they are offering and if it would actually further your career goals or just put you in more debt. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2013

• You need to apply for a Private Student Loan thru a bank or credit union. But, there are drawbacks! http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/federal-vs-private

Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 12:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• I'd be wary of a school that didn't accept a govt loan. I'd be thinking that the real situation was probably the other way round - the govt won't finance these places because they're not considered valid educational institutions, if you see what I mean.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• I would be VERY careful about this school.

make sure they have the proper accreditation for whatever it is you are trying to do, check out reviews of it...that kind of thing.

The fact that they don't take government loeans is pretty scary
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Im sure there are places. Google it if you havent already....but i assume you probably already have. Maybe go to your bank and talk to them about it!
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2014