has anyone else had false positives to find out you aren't pregnant? three different brands. 6 tests all positive.

i used five brands. two brands were negative. two brands were positive. one brand had one negative and one positive. i called my doc. and since i had an iud put in two weeks ago, he told me to go to the er ( i was bleeding). blood hcg(quantitive test) scored 0. i was not, nor have been pregnant. i called the company of the tests, and found out that the three brands + were made by the same company. they asked me to have the tests back, and they are sending me out a brand of my choice. they mentioned (since i am not on fertility treatments) that it could be from ovarian cysts, or a chemical pregnancy. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE?

heatherann4

Asked by heatherann4 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Ovarian cyst??
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I had a chemical pregnancy that was similar. I had the feeling that I had conceived; we were trying. I tested 5 days before AF was due. Most tests were positive (EPT and First Response), but they were negative the next day. My period started a few days later. When I researched the issue, I found that chemical pregnancies are quite common and are often the result of "something going wrong" (wrong number of chromosomes, etc) I successfully conceived two cycles later and just gave birth to a baby boy a couple of weeks ago.

If you had an IUD put in, I assume you are trying to avoid pregnancy. Is it possible that you conceived just before IUD placement and the blastocyst failed to implant successfully? Or, if you use the "blue plus sign tests" they can sometimes appear positive after the waiting time (a shadow or grayish line appears that is actually not a positive result)
    lanska

Answer by lanska at 10:57 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I took a first response last yr and thought I was pregnant. It had 2 lines, one light pink. Everyone, including my neighbor saw it and agreed...then af came...so thinking it was a chemical maybe...
    Anonymous

• If you had an IUD put in, I assume you are trying to avoid pregnancy. Is it possible that you conceived just before IUD placement and the blastocyst failed to implant successfully?

PROBABLY NOT. I HAD AN IMPLANON IMPLANT REMOVED THAT SAME DAY, SO I DO NOT THINK I WAS PREGNANT. THE THING ABOUT THE TESTS IS THAT I READ THEM CORRECTLY, I AM SURE OF IT (i have four children and worked in a pp clinic) i had a negative quantitive HCG test, came home and tested positive again (blue line immediately, not a ghost line.)
    heatherann4

Answer by heatherann4 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I took a test from rite aid.. it came up positive....I took 3 dollar store tests all negative...then I took a first response test. Neg. and so i took a digital...that one says neg. too.... So I know what you are going thru. i called an advice nurse and she said that it was more than likely a chemical pregnancy or that some blood in the urine can cause false positives.....hope this helps
    goodfroggie

Answer by goodfroggie at 10:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2009