Follow up to a good customer service post

My husb. & I have been going to the same place for our oil changes for years. The owner's son & my middle son went to grade school together. Last Fri., hubby took his truck in to have his rear differential worked on. On Sunday, we noticed a small puddle in the rear of the truck, so I took him to work on Monday & called the place about the leak. We were afraid to drive it. The owner brought a mechanic with him & drove over to my house to take a look. He said everything looked fine & offered to have it up on the lift for a better look. (hubby took it up there after work- all is fine)

I think it says a lot about a company, when the owner takes the time to make a house call. Do you have examples of good customer service experiences?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2013 in Money & Work

• Nothing quite that good, but the mechanic we go to 1) gives discounts to Mormon families, and 2) allows us to pay our bill(s) by payment plan.

It's an older couple that runs the place, and they're some of the awesomest people I've ever met. He and I have talked more than once and he's there to HELP people, not screw them out of money. Heh, a mechanic with ethics and a desire to help. What's better than that?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Nothing that good. I ordered a couple of pendants online on Friday, and chains to go with them. One of the pendants wouldn't fit the chain I ordered, and the guy that runs the site called me personally (twice) and sent an email to ask if it was okay if he swapped the chain for another that would fit, even though it was exactly the same price and was to my benefit. But he called to get permission anyway because he didn't want me to think he was trying to scam me or anything. I thought that was pretty cool of him, especially since he could have just sent the email and left it to me to get in touch.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:42 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Yeah, when you live in a small town that is a perk. We have that sort of treatment here in our town as well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• My mechanic has made house calls before when my car wouldn't start, and when I was single he suggested less expensive fixes for things - he's incredible!
    And I went to chick Fil a for supper last night. Noticed they have out tiny containers of Cheerios out next to the plastic sticky placemats. I love that!

Answer by missanc at 11:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2013

• That's awesome customer service. You don't see it so much anymore. My So owns a watch and clock repairshop. Not long ago, a woman brought a clock in. My boyfriend looked at it and found there was actually nothing wrong with it. He only had to make a few minor adjustments to it for it to be running fine again. The woman who owned the clock stood there looking at him like he was from Mars when he tweaked the clock and didn't charge her. She asked him flat out why he didn't make up some story about what all was wrong with the clock and charge her a bunch of money. He said that wouldn't be the right thing to do, and beside, she'd be a happy customer and come back again, and maybe tell afew friends. Good business is good business. The thought of making up a lie just to get money wouldn't even have occurred to him. She walked out thrilled, and came back with another clock later. That's how you build a good reputation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• When I was single and pre baby I had a older Subaru car, during a rain storm the windshield wiper broke off completely. I stopped by a Napa parts store(as I'm somewhat mechanically inclined) thinking I could just get the wiper and be done with it, but it turned out I needed a special piece just for my car and I was on my way to work and it was raining/snowing. After the guys at the store tried calling subaru dealership without success(no answer) they took one of the brackets and grinded it down etc to make it fit my car. It took them a half an hour to do it...and they only charged me for the wiper blade.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2013