Just when you thought Phil Robertson couldn't get any worse...

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/duck-dynasty-39-phil-robertson-suggests-men-marry-032404400.html

In a newly surfaced 2009 video posted on YouTube, Robertson shares dating advice he once gave to a young man in love, which includes that men should marry girls as young as 15.

"Make sure that she can cook a meal," Robertson is heard telling a group in Georgia in the 2009 video. "You need to eat some meals that she cooks, check that out."

"Make sure she carries her Bible," the reality star continued. "That'll save you a lot of trouble down the road. And if she picks your ducks, now, that's a woman."

According to Robertson, for men to successfully find the right woman, the man should make sure she's young.

"They got to where they getting hard to find, mainly because these boys are waiting 'til they get to be about 20 years old before they marry them," Robertson said at the time. "Look, you wait 'til they get to be 20 years old the only picking that's going to take place is your pocket. You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16. They'll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that, of course."

Thoughts????

I, for one, am ashamed that this man calls my homestate (that I grew up in) home.  He does not speak for me or, my family, in any way. 

3libras

Asked by 3libras at 1:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2013 in Religious Debate

• "By getting you worked up over absolutely nothing that affects your life in any way, whatsoever."

Really? There were more than a couple of politicians that came out in strong support for this guy and not only on the Freedom of Speech bandwagon. Those people make policy that affects everyone. One third of this country doesn't believe in one of the most basic scientific theory and, worse, over 30% of Republican congressmen are in the same camp. Those people make policy that affects everyone.

So, yeah. When one third of this country, including lawmakers, is mired in dogma that is inherently oppressive and divisive it affects everyone.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 8:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Good grief! He's not a pedophile. He and Kay married young, before he went to college, and she's only a year younger than he is. And you'd expect that a religious man would tell others that marrying a religious woman is a good idea.

As far as telling them to marry a 15 yo versus 20 yo, I don't know. Marrying young used to be very common; it's not now, and some things are the worse for it, imo. I do know that he strongly believes that one should know how to live off the land. He is very concerned that his grandchildren are growing up with too many creature comforts, not knowing how food makes it to the table, not knowing how to provide for themselves. He loves his grandchildren as a grandfather should, and he wants them to love God, love others, and do good.

If you don't understand that Phil Robertson is a good man, then you don't really know anything about him.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• As far as telling them to marry a 15 yo versus 20 yo

Read closely, he's basically telling them to groom the girls, same way a pedophile does. It's not only the age, it's the "method" he recommends to train them and make sure they're "good" girls - make sure they can cook, make sure they carry a bible - in other words, make sure they'll serve you and be obedient.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• You forgot the trauma of sex with older, experienced men before they're physically ready for it, often resulting in pain and trauma that makes sex something to dread rather than enjoy. He reminds me of those guys who offer to take "young women" into their homes to teach them "discipline" by putting them on strict schedules, spanking them if they misbehave, and getting off on the whole thing while their wives look on helpless.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• My grandmother was married at 15. They were young and in love, and married over 60 years until my grandfather passed. It was a different time. Let's not compare Phil Robertson to Warren Jeffs.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• "I defended the man as having a right to his opinion,"

Again, no one is taking away his right to speak his opinion. But that does not take away from the valuable discussion that can be had when we all get together and talk about what he's really saying.

"I get bent out of shape when someone says they threw away a shirt because they can't sew on a button or stitch a 2" seam.
    It bothers me that some people do not have any idea of shelf life of food in the refrigerator or the basics of cooking or cleaning"

Understandable but I'm unsure marrying off your daughter at 15 is related in any way to what is basic home economics.

"I think it's clear that Robertson is an old man, from a different time"

Speaking as an old person I'm just going to say that forgiving stupidity and offensive behaviors simply become someone is over the age of 50 is a cop out. I'm still able to change my views if convinced it's the right thing.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 2:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• I think it's more a matter of you need to take it on a case by case basis and are they ready, do they know that marriage is a give & take, that you love in good times & bad, both sides need to cook, clean, mow, car care, etc

The other thing to consider, though it's not really a comfortable thing, is how many marriages lasted because the woman felt trapped and thought she had no option to leave? Marriage for love is a relatively new concept, and most women were taught you suck it up and deal with it, not that they had a right to be happy. It's even more recent they weren't viewed as simply property to pass on from father to husband. Being in a seemingly hopeless situation is not the same as a strong and happy marriage.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• "As far as telling them to marry a 15 yo versus 20 yo, I don't know. Marrying young used to be very common; it's not now, and some things are the worse for it, imo."

I'm curious. What is worse for it? Do our teenaged daughters need to be married off before they've even had two years worth of menses in order to know where food comes from? Do we need to go back to young girls dying in childbirth because they're pregnant before they're physically grown? Do we really need to put our girls back in subservient (not equal but loving, but subservient) relationships in order to honor an antiquated way of looking at the lives of our children?

As a mother of three girls I am at a complete loss as to how this is, in any way, of benefit to anyone.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 2:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Ok, I need to say something about this 'older generation' thing. Phil Robertson is one year younger than my parents. I was born just before Woodstock. My parents, their siblings and friends all married in their early to mid 20's (about 23 for most of them). I don't think anyone defending him realizes what generation he is actually from. Maybe in backwoods, bumfuck Egypt it was ok for people of his generation to marry 16 year olds, but I don't think it was a common way of thinking for hippies.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Hh, not happy he cheated on her , beat her, was a Raging alcoholic, abandoned his family for numerous years.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2013