Is there anything I can do for her? (swallowing issue)

My daughter's throat sometimes swells up and she can't eat or drink anything. Dr said there isn't anything wrong, she just has to be careful when eating.

She has had this ever since she was in 3rd grade (she is now 17) and this has caused a couple trips to the emergency room as food will get lodged in her throat.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips that I can pass on to her?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 3:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2013 in Health

• How is there nothing wrong if her throat swells up??
    Have you had her seen by an ENT or GI specialist?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• If her throat swells up, there IS something wrong. That's not normal. I'd have her see a different doctor, or a specialist. More than one if needed.

As far as advice for dealing with it in the meantime, I really don't have anything. Is there something you know triggers it? Certain foods (allergies), stress, eating too quickly?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• She just eats too quickly and doesn't chew it enough. She has seen many different dr's and specialists for this.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Dr said there isn't anything wrong?? Then she hasn't seen the right doc.... that's NOT normal!! If it swells to the point that she can't eat or drink anything I would NOT accept that answer from any doctor.
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 4:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Eating too quickly does NOT cause the throat to swell. Not does "not chewing enough."

You may have seen a lot of docs but doesn't sound like you've seen the right one.

I'd be seeing an allergist, because it sounds like an allergic reaction. Until you get in to see one, track everything that goes in her mouth. Every single bite. See what sets things off.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Maybe I'm not describing it correctly. She can breathe just fine. She talks just fine. She just doesn't chew her food well enough and it gets stuck. The 1st trip to the emergency room resulted in them pushing the food down into her stomach. Another time (and I just remembered this) we had her drink ice cold water from a straw and relax then she was fine.

tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Have her count how many times she chews each bite.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• OK, that's not a swollen throat. And PGA nailed it. Tell your daughter to read up on mindful eating; it's slow eating. Take a bite. Put the fork down, chew and be aware of what's in your mouth before swallowing. No gulping down meals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dining/mindful-eating-as-food-for-thought.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Article on the idea at that link. Mindful eating is also a great method of weight control.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2013