14-year-old was driving in fatal Cass County crash; 12-year-old died at the scene

http://www.elkharttruth.com/article/20131231/NEWS05/712319993/?nocache=1

On a day when we're debating if 14 is old enough to make mature choices or 16 to get married, this seemed a rather brutal reality check.  Anyone think teenagers are in the right headspace to make life decisions?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• That's right where my family is. The street where it happened is maybe 3 miles from my grandmother's house.

Anyway, I've never thought teens should be getting married or having kids or things like that. There are some that can be mature enough to handle it, but there are more that can't.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• They aren't. They've got hormones surging everywhere which is why they make stupid choices like these kids did. They're in between child world and adult world and they just don't have the tools to navigate life without lots of supervision, parental support and life education

Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 9:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• 14 yr old out at 2 am, and driving with a 12 yr old.....knock knock, parents where the fuck are you???
    And yea, prime example of how a child of 14 cannot make mature, safe decisions for the most part.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Teens just aren't ready...to drive, to marry or even go to college at 16. They lack critical thinking skills and judgment IMO. Who's 14 year old is out at 2AM and driving?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Tragic.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• It depends on the teen. By this time I was more or less doing all the things and adult does for their family including driving, going to school on behalf of a youngster, dealing with doctors and cooling meals.

I drove completely under my own recognizance. My father was disabled and no one else was a driver. I went alone or ferried other people.
    I never had an accident until I was 56. My first and so far my last and that was determined to not be my fault.

Others who are/ were well into adulthood and many accidents and tickets to their "credit"
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• There are exceptions to every situation, but that hardly makes them the norm. Nor a means to measure the majority of teens this age, especially when statistically, teens this age have proven time and again how bad they are at making adult decisions.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• I guess that is why I said it depends on the teen.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:23 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• Teens are not ready to make life changing decisions. They need a parent or mentor involved in their life, guiding them, helping them learn how to navigate in the adult world. Then, once they are 17/18, they will be better prepared to begin making some bigger decisions about their life.

We also need to teach teens how to follow the law. Saying, 'I drove when I was 14' just doesn't cut it. Legally, a teen cannot get a license until age 16 (sometimes 17, depending on where you are). No one can legally drive without a license. That has nothing to do with maturity, and everything to do with the law.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• That has nothing to do with maturity, and everything to do with the law.

Apparently the law doesn't apply to everyone...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2014