5 yr old dd is 'afraid of the dark' and the 'monsters under the bed/closet..'

I expected this fear of hers to manifest when she was younger, but she has the now. Anyway, dh and I both used the nightlight, even got her the flashlight friend (which BTW is great!) and she still is afraid of monsters, even the dark. I put a LED light in the closet so she can see there is nothing in there but her clothes. DH used the special spray to 'scare away the monsters' to no avail. Its kinda like a double edge sword, we do not want to ignore her fears, but we also do not want to "over do" too much either. Any advice?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2013 in General Parenting

• Has she seen Monsters Inc?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:16 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• Put her mattresses on the floor and hang Christmas lights in her room. That is what cured us for our 4 year old girl.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Have her climb up in bed, then point out where all the monsters are, one at a time. As she points them out to you, jump towards that spot and growl, like Sully from Monster's Inc., then say, "Go away monster". We did this with our kids, or at least my daughter. And she start giggling after about three "monsters". It lasted about a week and the monsters never came back.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Did you try giving her the spray to use whenever she "sees" one? That's what we did with my dd so it was completely her control. When my dd got a little older we checked her closet and under the bed before bedtime and she went around the house with us to make sure the doors were locked.

Answer by missanc at 12:18 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• Put the Christmas lights under her bed.... Monsters don't live in lighted spaces!!
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 2:07 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• Might be that you had all kinds of crazy in your house in the past few months, and the little shit who hit her told her the monsters were real?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• I'm not sure then. The Flashlight Friend did the trick for my five-year-old, and the monster spray. Also, me chasing the monsters out of the closet and shooing them out the window with lots of Mom Power and stern warning not to ever come back helped a lot. I hope you find a cure soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:49 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• maybe try listening to this song with her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Uab6qzM9s

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• Now that you have done all of those things, the Flashlight Friend and the spray and the light in the closet, how is she expressing her fears?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• You do know this is normal? Most every kid is afraid of the dark. Seeing monsters. 

When she freaks out. Just with out a lot of fuss. Go into her room, turn on the light. Make her look around. Say "see nothing here" Put her back to bed. Turn off the light.

I am 52 and still shut the door in my bedroom at night before going to bed. Closet, bathroom, bedroom door. Childhood thing for me. I use to think if I was completely under the covers the monsters could not get to me.

Answer by louise2 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 1, 2014