Is anyone an LPN, how about a phlebotomist?

Tell me about it?
What do you like about your job?

funlovinlady

Asked by funlovinlady at 11:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2013 in Money & Work

• I used to be a phlebotomist.

I liked the job, but in my area, the only job a beginning (as in just out of school, which I was) phlebotomist could get was working 3rd shift in a hospital. The pay was barely above minimum wage, I was constantly exhausted as a single mom with 2 young kids (because I couldn't sleep all day if I wanted any time with them at all), and working in a hospital (where it's pretty much a given that everyone is sick somehow), I was constantly making my kids sick. No matter how much I washed my hands and stuff, I still managed to bring stuff home to them - and I know it was the hospital because it never happened before or after that job like it did there.

If I'd been able to work regular hours in a lab, I would probably still be doing it now (and writing on the side, of course). I liked it. It was nice being able to reassure people before I drew their blood, talk to people. And it was kinda fun. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2013

• I started out as a phlebotomist, I worked 3rd shift starting out as well, but I was 20 and didn't have kids, I would have much rather worked in a doctor's office. I don't like hospital hours or just working there in general. I currently have my LPN but haven't worked in years. I did work in a dermatologist office and loved it. The hours were great, and I love routine so...it was great. I am currently in college to get my RN, I hope to find work in a nursing home.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• Phlebotomists don't get paid much but it's a good way to start a medical career if that's what you're aiming for. LPN doesn't pay a ton either but you're more likely to get a job at a doctor's office that way. Lots of them are moving from RN's to LPN's because they don't have to pay them nearly as much.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 11:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• I was told once that the hospitals in the Northeast were phasing out LPN's. They recommend it as a stepping stone for anyone going for an RN. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but the medical community up here is just anal enough for that to be true.
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 12:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2014

• I was told once that the hospitals in the Northeast were phasing out LPN's

Yeah, actually, they seem to be trying to phase out nursing altogether. I've got a friend with years of experience that was laid off and can't find sustainable work. Something like 30% of new nursing graduates can only find jobs in home health or nursing homes. I know some hospitals in my area are requiring that nurses do a one year "internship" before they'll even be considered for hire. Hours are being cut like crazy where I work
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 1:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2014

• Yeah, actually, they seem to be trying to phase out nursing altogether.

How can they do that? The nurses do sooo much more for patients. I mean, I'm not trying to knock doctors, but let's face it, they're not there all day/night, every day to take care of the patients needs. If they get rid of nursing altogether, who's going to care for the patients?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2014

• "If they get rid of nursing altogether, who's going to care for the patients? "

They're hiring a lot of MA's, part time and then cutting the RN to part time so they share a full time position. They'll never be able to completely get rid of nursing, of course, but they certainly are cutting the field back to the bare bones
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 5:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2014

• I know that most of the hospitals here aren't hiring Lpn's and that they crosstrain folks to do the blood draws..so both careers seem pretty shaky to me. I wouldn't recommend Lpn school to anyone right now, there are so few jobs out there....I searched for 3 years after being a sahm and finally got a job last summer with a small home health care company but there hours are not many and now I also work as a Sub teacher, and also contract nurse for a few wellness/flu shot companies too. It's going to be ridiculous around tax time here with all the 1099 forms and such...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2014