NewBOs - The Rise of America's New Black Overclass

What do you think about the upcoming show? "Based on Lee Hawkins' forthcoming book of the same title, NEWBOs: The Rise of America's New Black Overclass examines the growing responsibilities of black celebrities in the Obama age."

I'm all for a success story, but why do you have to say BLACK? Can we move on from the labelling? If people peg themselves into a black only group, how is this not racism or bigotry? This is a black supremacy group.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29053356?__source=vty|blackoverclass|&par=vty

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• stupidity that is all it is
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well there are a lot of black kids in the inner city schools that NEED positive black role models. Kids still think that certain behaviors are "not black." It is considered "not black" to excel in school or to be interested in things that are of a more refined nature. I think that these kids do need role models to show them that you absolutely can be black and still be interesting in cultural affairs. My husband teaches in an inner city school and he talks about this a lot. It is a reality despite how sad it is. A lot of work still needs to be done before we can just drop the labels.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:13 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• black supremacy group??? PUH-LEASE!!! If saying black is racist then filling out a job application is racist too. I bet when you refer to some you don't know who is black I bet you say..."I'm talking about a black man." if you don't say black people probably would never find out who you're trying to refer too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Why do people think that mentioning race is racist. Have we become so pc that you can't say that man is black and that man is white and that man is Asian.

Mentioning race is not racist. Talking about race is not racist. Discussing the good and bad of each race and their cultures is not racist.

Believing that certain races are superior to other races is racist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• beckcorc - I disagree. I was a poor white girl and grew up in an inner city, black area. My school was 99% black and it was a pitiful school to say the least. to say "It is considered "not black" to excel in school or to be interested in things that are of a more refined nature" is probably THE WORST, MOST OFFENSIVE thing I've read in 13 years. yeah for you. get over that crap. we have a black president for goodness sakes, is that not cool? many of my black girlfriends studied their butts off too, the boys, well, most of them were after one thing...the girls. =)
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• No matter how many mature, successful, black role models there are out there (and there have been MANY for DECADES), many impressionable youngsters will tend to lean towards the "rebel" type like the "gangsta rappers" because they're persona exudes "fun?!"

You have to have it in you, to want to make a better life for yourself. Role models help you realize that is CAN be done, but they're not going to MAKE it happen! You have to do that yourself!

Kids today (all races) want to be the VP after working for 6 months, and without earning the proper education or skills...they don't want to put the time and effort in and actually WORK towards their goals...they want it handed to them on the silver platter of entitlement!

I think this whole NEWBO concept is stupid. Obama has broken through all of the glass ceilings there are! There should be absolutely NO EXCUSE for why you can't make it NOW! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• So white kids don't need role models, it's stupid to expect things of Michael Phelps, and it's stupid for kids to have role models that aren't their parents, teachers, etc. But black kids do need role models? Are black kids somehow inferior to white kids that they need more role models, or is that just typical liberal stereotyping to make themselves feel better?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Why do some seem to not see that blacks have had MANY examples of other blacks working hard and accomplishing things in their lives? Some came from the ghetto and busted their rumps and became GREAT SUCCESS.Seems to me some acted like those people did not exist but now oh now that we have a black president now ONE exists lol.I just do not get that.This is what I think there may be a few who will see this as their motivation but alot still will not once the novalty wears off.
    I think it starts in the home with the parents teaching their children better no matter what walk of life.We will always have some who never get it but let's pray alot more will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• There is not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America -- there is the United States of America," - -- Barack Obama

Then shouldn't EVERYONE be a role model?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I say start with Michael Vick, Mike Tyson and Kwame for the New Black Overclass lectures when then studies begin. They have alot of experience to offer.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2009