Do you feel the word 'retarded' is offensive?

When used in a joking, or insulting, manner to someone who is not mentally disabled, do you think it is offensive to those that are mentally disabled, and their loved ones?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Yes. It's hard not to be offended by that word when you have kids who are challenged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My grandma used to work in a home for people that were slow when I was a kid, and we all called them the retarded people. But now as an adult I see how that could be offensive to them or their families. It's kind of demeaning.
    raenad

Answer by raenad at 9:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Yes, very much so. My brother is special and it greatly offends me. I'm usually a pretty easy-going person, but that will get my claws out faster that you can say "I'm sorry."
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Yes, it's offensive. When people use that word in the way you mentioned, it demonstrates to me that they're ignorant and insensitive, and I NEVER fail to tell them that it's inappropriate and offensive. Luckily, I don't tend to associate with anyone who would talk like this.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:20 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Yes.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 9:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I have two special needs kids and yes I feel it is offensive in some circumstances.

Answer by gemgem at 9:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I do. I used to work for a non-profit agency for the handicapped and I have to say that it is. I have slipped and said the word but I know it's offensive and felt bad afterward. The people who advocate for it are very offended because people act as though the fact that they have diminished capabilities that they are incapable of understanding that they are being insulted.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:25 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• no, if your joking around and the person isnt mentally disabled then no.
    JuJu_Bean

Answer by JuJu_Bean at 9:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• yes i think it is offensive
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 20, 2009