Any suggestions?

My hubby has been an owner/operator (owns and drives a semi-truck) for the past 18 years. He's 39 and is really ready to get out of it. We have @1 year left on the payments and then he can sell the truck. He makes good money at it, around 2500.00/week net. The problem is he hates to be away from us. He wants to be more involved in our boys lives , they are 12, 6 and 5 and its killing him to be gone. He's very intelligent, went to school for engineering in England when he was young, was a journeyman carpenter in England yrs ago... Can build, repair any car,truck etc... He has no confidence about his skills, I try to tell him he could open a repair shop here at our house, we have a shop etc.. Then he would be home all the time. He's worried about the money part of it... I told him if he waits until the truck is paid for then we wouldn't have a 1700.00/mo payment to worry about. Any suggestions, advice ?? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would suggest that he continue to make the payments and work as much as possible just this one last year. I definitely believe and feel strongly that fathers be nearby, but this is a volatile economy and having that payment, during a first year of opening a business would not be wise. It generally takes up to 1 year to turn a profit or to make the money that you need to sustain the normal household expenses not to mention the truck payment.

If he could start the home business on the side and begin to make a profit then that might give him an idea how soon he could transition. Also, if there would be anything you could sell, that would relieve you of a current obligation till the business is viable, that might help get him home sooner than the year.

Be sure and write down all of your current expenses and income and weight it all out. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Op here... The only other payment we have is the mortgage. Our cars are paid for, not new, he maintains everything... Other than that its normal utilities, phone, electric etc... We have agreed that getting the truck paid for is the main thing.. It will be easier to sell it when it's paid for... He's thought about school for radiology, I told him I'm behind him no matter what he does... I think it's wise to weigh all the options, and thankfully we have a year to work it all out.. I just pray he will be hime for good soon.. Thank you for the advice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Invest - and make money - he would have more time with being with you and the boys!

www.DoctorsMission.com

Anonymous

• I have a close friend that was in the same situation. The question is does he like driving the truck besides the fact that he is away from you guys? If he does. My friend looked into companies that were local with little to no otr (over the road) driving. So he was still driving he was just home every night for dinner. It is just another option. Hope it helps
    leigh_christi

Answer by leigh_christi at 12:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009