Once i live on my own with my son how can i get him to want to sleep by his self in his own room without me?

ever since i brought him home from the hospital he has slept with me beacuse at first it was easier to get to him in the middle of the night but he is 1 now and he will 2 when i move out(maybe) and i need to get him used to sleeping by his self. any ideas?

Ashley1031007

Asked by Ashley1031007 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its was around two-three when my dg started going to sleep in her bed alone, IT TAKES work, Make sure that when he gets his own bed, (at bed time), NO Matter where he goes to sleep, PUT Him in His bed!! an in time he will be old enough to go to sleep on his own, but getting the babes in thier own bed Every night helps, Then you have a foundation to work from, Unless your lucky an he just takes right up to it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You can start by getting a play pin to put in your room now so he can start sleeping in to get use to not sleeping right next to you. Or buy a convertable crib that you can put him in, then when you move and he is two you can convert it into a toddler bed. He's not going to want to sleep by himself but you're going to have to enforce it. Do it now or it will be 10 times harder at two. Put him down before you go to bed so he learns to put himself down. In about a weeks time he'll stop fighting you so much and by two weeks you'll be thinking that it is nice to have an entire bed to yourself again. Hang in there and be strong for your son. Know that you are doing it to better his situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• We established a routine. Bath, teeth, get stuffed animals in bed, read a story, I lay for 2 songs then i leave the room. the first couple days we had to "super nanny" it and ignore her when she got up and put her back in her bed. It was hard the first couple nights. We started at 2 yrs old, she is now 7 and we have the same routine. She will sleep with me on the weekends sometimes and and then I have to be firm and say no or she would one more night me to death.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2009