Do you think this should qualify as child abuse?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/nebraska-swearing-toddler/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

This is a child who is being trained to be what I will call a low life.  He is not going to succeed in being anything but the dregs of society.   He does not have a chance.  His parents wont let hime and are training him before he can make a choice for himself.

What do you think> 

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 2:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2014 in Politics & Current Events

• lam- I really think you need to see the video before you can honestly answer this question. The adults are rather TEACHING the child how to use these words, how to flip people off, what to call people and how to say it. THIS IS ABUSE. The story doesn't do the video justice....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• Yes absolutely. Can you imagine what type of life that child leads?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• Sooo sad :(
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• Imo no one should ever be spoken to like that...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• This is so sad. Horrible environment, yes. Disgusting parents, yes. Tragic, yes. I'm not sure abusive is the right word. Abuse has become one of those umbrella words that has gotten so broad as to be meaningless. But it's a downright shame when parents don't want better for their kids than they have for themselves.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• It makes me sad too. But, in a lot of these cases, it is a vicious cycle.   I am sure there are a ton of children out there who are talked to like this.  

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• I read the article but without seeing the video, I'm not sure I would call it abuse. I think it is a situation that warrants watching. This child is hearing the adults around him saying, "Shut up, b*tch!" to each other. If they are speaking that way to him, I would call that abusive. If he is being made to believe that gangs are normal and acceptable, I have a problem with that because the parents are failing to provide the guidance this child will need to stay safe. This is practically in my own backyard. North Omaha has a huge problem with gangs and violence.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• Dard, that has to be the saddest story I ever read, about that boy. God, I hope he made something of himself. And if there's any justice in this universe at all, there's a special place in hell for his parents. And like you said, how many others can't rise above what their family teaches them, or are afraid to? I'll always remember this one girl in the trailer park I gave my wedding bouquet too. She asked me for it, telling me I looked like a fairy princess. Her whole dream was to get knocked up by whoever so she could get her own trailer and her own welfare. She was thirteen, and she didn't know there was anything better out there for her. I gave her my wedding flowers and told her she could have so much more out of life than that if she went to school, respected herself, you know, but what could I do against her mom with a new boyfriend every week, screaming at her that she was nothing but an accident.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• Yeah lam - I have to agree with M-avi... you really need to see the video before you can honestly answer this... it's disgraceful to say the least! ;o(
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 5:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2014

• This is abuse, plain and simple. Its not a buzz word here....this is the real deal. Its horrific to me. That poor child. And those sperm and egg donor are despicable human beings.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2014