How do you feel that some mayors will not take any stmulas money even though the city may be in trouble?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think if they're Republican or more of a conservative Democrat (if possible!), then it's a very good political move!

The ONLY way Republicans are not going to be blamed for this mess, is if they vote against it! The Democrats have the "majority trifecta." They do NOT need Republicans to see things their way in order to pass their spend-freely packages, but they DO want them! Why? Because, when it all falls apart they can blame the Republicans for supporting it!

IF the Democrats are successful, they'll get the credit (highly unlikely)
    IF the Republicans supported it, and it was successful, they would get a little of the credit (highly unlikely)
    IF the Republicans supported it, and it failed, THEY would be blamed 100%!!!

So, I think it's GREAT that Republicans are doing what they can at this juncture, and distancing themselves as much as possible (except for the 3 RINO's who'll hopefully be booted out in 2010!)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:20 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I think they are concerned with how they are suppose to continue to fund these programs once the Federal Stimulus Money is all gone. This is an expensive short term bandaid, NOT a long term program to encourage a responsible BUILD up of America.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well, good for them. If they disagreed with the bailout then they shouldn't take the money. In fact, I think, as do many others, that if your state Senator is a Republican that voted against the bailout, then he/she should be big enough to refuse the money. And what about those states that are so mad they are wanting to secede? Let them go...saves us a bit of cash having to help them, I say. Typical conservative BS...'oh no, we don't want to help anybody...government sucks...let private business run our country...blah, blah, blah'...then the minute the shit hits the fan, who's first in line in DC for some cash? Banks, big business and the states that have Republican Senators that collect the most federal funds...LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I say more power to them. They know that when the band aid of money is gone their town will be better off for relying on each other than the gov't!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• This keeps coming up in the news, but it's a lie. Nobody has outright said they are not taking the money - they are saying they are going to actually read the bill (unlike congress and the pres) and line by line decide which programs are feasible and worth the money, instead of accepting money that has lots of strings attached but doesn't actually create any jobs or stimulate the economy. Federal mandates can be ugly, and some of these programs may end up tying states into doing things for 20 years, but only allow enough money to do them for one - that's the kind of thing they are looking for and planning to refuse to participate in.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:04 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Thank you notpanicking...I was about to say lol

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Amen to all posts!!! Everyone has great points. I just saw a Texas Congressman, who said exactly what NotPanicking is stating! They want to read it line by line...! Smart move for the Republicans to distance themselves from this porkalicious spendiferous socialism debacle bill now before the 2010 elections!!!!!!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Anom at 9:22 I am a Republican and you have it all backwards. It is the democrats who want all of the social programs. Most conservatives work for their money and it is the right thing to do. I noticed your reply was to take more money - typical behavior of the mentality who believe in letting govt solve all of their problems.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Most conservatives work for their money and it is the right thing to do.

LOL! Sure it is...which is why those big business conservatives cried to DC to bail them out and it's why the conservative states are the ones that receive the most federal funding, right? Typical behaviour of the mentality of letting others suffer but I'll be damned if I'm going to suffer...LOL! Lindsey Grahm criticized this bill...a lot...but then he turns around and says 'Well, I'd be crazy to not take money that is on the table for me'...my own Republican Senator criticized this bill without noting the irony that he brings home more federal money to our state than almost any other citizen. Indeed, conservative states receive more federal money than liberal states even though liberal states pay more than conservative states. Double-standard BS is what it is...
    Anonymous

• id vote for them
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 2:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2009