teaching mom to drive?

Okay, my mom is 62 yrs old and has never driven. EVER!! I want her to learn cuz my stepdad is a comlete and total asshole to her and he holds it over her head that he takes her everywhere. I have been trying to talk her into it and she won't budge. She just says she'd be too nervous to drive. Any advice?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 10:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• Take it very slowly and be very patient with her. Don't ever yell at her for making a mistake. That will scare her even more and make it impossible for her to learn how to drive. Take her to a small parking lot and have her test things out. When she gets to the point where she's getting comfortable, take her to a small residential area without a lot of traffic and have her drive around there. A small car is probably best to start out with, especially to take her test in.

About your stepdad, if you're really that worried about her, she might have to leave him. Could she stay with you? I wouldn't want my mom staying with a jerk, and I would try to get her out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• She won't leave him and he won't leave either. They have been married forever (unhappily). But I do think if she could drive she'd be more apt to kick him out.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Take her out for the day and go to an empty parking lot (like a school on a weekend). Then tell her it would make you happy to know she could drive for help if anything happened to the driver of any vehicle she was in. Tell her she doesn't have to get a license but for her own safety she needs to know how to drive a car. That comes in handy if she and her h travel. You never know when he might have a heart attack or something and she needs to drive him to the hospital. It would be up to her to save him or whoever. Just tell her it's a safety and precautionary type of thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:53 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If she's as stubborn as my mother, she will not learn to drive and she probably doesn't have the desire to drive...I would leave it alone and either take her where she needs to go or have redi-wheels take her where she needs to go...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009