Does it bug you when people say "two-thousand-AND-nine?"

For some reason, it drives me nuts when people include the word "and" in the middle of the year! Nobody ever said 19 AND 99, so why do so many people feel the need to add "and" to the year 2009. It's a number and you don't pronounce numbers that way! Sorry, a newscaster on Good Morning America kept saying that this morning! Does it annoy anyone else or am I just as anal as my DH thinks I am?!

winkie_pinkie

Asked by winkie_pinkie at 10:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Would you rather it be twenty O nine?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sorry yeah your DH is right. No worries though we are all a litttle anal I am sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Haha, I thought I was the only one with this pet peeve! Glad I'm not alone. :-)

We got married in 2002 and I was neurotic about the invitation reading "two thousand two" instead of "two thousand and two."
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Haha! I had the same issue with our wedding invitations! The first sample that was printed said two thousand and five and I was not happy!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 10:24 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I wish everyone did just say "Twenty O Nine". How do you pronounce the year 1909? I think everyone got excited about "The Year Two Thousand!" and the Two Thousand bit sort of stuck.

I guess i'm anal about this thing too.

I have heard more people use the "Twenty"something when its in the future....like the year Twenty Thirty Five
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I always say 2000 and 9. It just doesn't sound right to me saying it 2009. I've been saying it both ways since reading this question and I'm still saying And.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• "THE WHOLE 9 YARDS" was the one that bugged me.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 10:33 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It's "two thousand nine". I'm with you.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:50 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• for some odd reason , my son learned "20 - 09!" lmao . he heard it in a song ... so its like "20-oh-9!" lmao ... it got on my nerves! but he sounded funny , hes like mom i kno todays date! im like omg wat is it , hes like "february 3rd 20-oh-9!" i was like get outta here !! lol ... he knos it drives me nuts so every morning he tells me its 20-oh-9! lol
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:51 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• in 1909 they said 19 ought 9 at least in the hills.

I know it is wrong, but it doesn't bug me. Now 20 0 9 bugs me. What you think it is 20 hundred? If somebody paid you $2k for a used car would you say you got 20 hundred dollars. NO! So don't do it with years either. Now 25 hundred, that would be okay, but 20 hundred, 30 hundred, 40 hundred. We don't do that.

This was just for fun though and no you are not the only one who is anal.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:57 AM on Feb. 20, 2009