Parents choice formula

I am currently giving my 3 month old son enfamil lipil, but its getting very expensive. I've always felt bad about thinking about buying off brand formula. Does anyone know if walmarts off brand parents choice is actually as good as enfamil?? The labels are pretty much exactly the same. And its $15 cheaper!!! Oh and yes I am breastfeeding, had a problem a month ago, and am working at getting my supply back up now. Its harder than I thought it would be. Thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 10:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed and when I had to supplement, I qualified for WIC, so luckily I didn't have to buy the formula and got similac for free. My sil couldn't breastfeed and she always used the Parent's Choice kind. Her doctor told her it was just as good. Sometimes it takes a baby a little while to get used to a change in formula, though, so you may want to transition slowly. It may make him a little gassy or something.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 10:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I've used parent's choice as a supplement, and it seems just as good as Enfamil Lipil. Actually, I believe my daughter actually digests it better than Enfamil. Don't feel bad about choosing a cheaper label. They wouldn't put it on the shelf if it was a bad product. And if you are having money issues, go to your health department and see if you qualify for WIC. Like you, I don't produce enough breastmilk for my baby, so I get 6 cans of formula a month through WIC, but they will give you more if you need more than that. I only use about 4 cans a month so I don't get very much.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• my son doesn't like enfamil so we've given him similac(from wic) and parents choice and hes great with both!
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 10:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My pediatrician said the store brands are just fine (I asked because name brand for 2 babies cost a small fortune). I used the Parent's Choice for a while and then switched to the Member's Mark at Sam's Club (an even better deal).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I never breastfed and after all of our free samples ran our from the hospital, enfamil, and similac I started giving him Parent's Choice. He is totally fine and it's pretty much the exact same thing as all the more expensive brands. We're on whole milk now so I don't buy formula but Parent's Choice even has formula for older babies. My son never had any problems growing, he's huge. He is skinny but he's always been that way. He was 33 inches tall at 12 months. As long as they're growing the formula is doing the job.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 11:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Formula is pretty uch of a muchness...what matters is whether your baby will take it. But if you're trying to get your supply up...let the formula run out and get the baby on the breast as much as possible. Minimize the formula or you'll sabotage yourself...every bottle given impacts supply.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for help in getting baby back to the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 AM on Feb. 21, 2009