Is it possible for a 10 month old to have RLS?

For almost the last month my daughter has been having restless nights and waking up crying and not wanting to sleep alone. So, ends up in be with me. It was not so bad at first, but this past week she has been tossing and turning and whining a lot all through the night and it did not dawn on me until I slept on the hide a bed last night with her that she may have RLS - she would not stop moving her legs!! When she did finally fall asleep - I noticed they moved every so often - but I was so tired that I did not stay up too long after to watch. Any ideas on what I can do to help her? Thnaks! Tonia

avonmommyof3

Asked by avonmommyof3 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be that. I haven't heard of a child that young having it, but it could be possible. But could it be possible that she has night terrors? My DS does that as well, and he started around your DD's age. Does anyhting like that run in your family? Night terrors? Sleep walking? It scared me to death the first time my son woke up with night terrors. He sounded like he was in physical pain.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• No - night terrors do not run in the Family - but RLS does. Maybe it is just severe growing pains? Not sure, but she has not slept well in a while and her naps do not last long - maybe 20 minutes. Poor girl - just wish I knew what to do for her. Thanks for the suggestion.
    avonmommyof3

Answer by avonmommyof3 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My sons doing the same thing but his are a combination of night terrors and teething. Night terrorsdont have to run in the family my sisters and I were the first generation in our family. They are triggered by intense stress and I truthfully can't think of anything more stressful then being a baby. I've never heard of RLS in a baby before but I'm sure it could happen. Just try some really calming activities before bed like some reading or singing about half an hour before bed for a few days to see if that helps and if it doesn't call your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Thanks! I will try it. I think the teething and just getting over an ear infection in the canal and all that has caught up to her. Thanks again. Tonia
    avonmommyof3

Answer by avonmommyof3 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2009