When to go to the Doctor?

My 22mth daughter has had a low grade fever since tuesday....off and on mostly in the evening she messes with her ears....Could she just be getting her two yr molors or could be an ear infection..She woke up at 3:30 this morning and was real hot to the touch. The evening and early morning is always worse than throughout the day. Should we go to the Dr.?

blrusso

Asked by blrusso at 10:43 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like an ear infection to me. This is the same thing that happens with my son when he gets one. I am always so surprised whent he doctor tells me he has one because other than a low grade fever, he is totally fine....

I would take her in just to be safe!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If she has been tugging at her ears this whole time and is fussy at night it is most likely that she has an ear infection. Go see the doc, you don't want her to be in pain if you can stop it do you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Thank you very much your input. I think I will get ready and take her now.!!
    blrusso

Answer by blrusso at 10:57 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Take her to the Doctor so that if it is an ear infection it doesnt get worse
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Never trust surface touch. Always take her temperature. Any variations in your own temperature, the temperature of the room, how the illness is affecting her body will all vary how warm she feels to the touch. But her core body temperature will be accurate.

When does a fever mean a trip to the doctor:
    If the fever hits 103 for 3 days in a row, even if it keeps coming down with medicine, go to the doctor.
    If a fever hits 104, go to the doctor or urgent care.
    If she acts very sick, take her. How she acts is a much better indication of how sick she is.

If her fever is under 102.5, don't treat the fever. Give her pain meds to treat pain and discomfort but not the fever. The fever will help her get better faster. Forcing it to go away keeps her sick longer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009