Does it hurt to have your membranes ruptured by a doctor?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Anything being ruptured by someone sounds really painful.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 10:58 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• DON'T LET THEM DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! It is dangerous and WILL NOT put you into labor unless you ar egetting ready to go in on your own . There have been NO proven benifits to having your waters broken by a doctor. this is stupid (as are all forms of induction when not 100% medically needed) Please don't let them do it. You have a much MUCH higher risk of infection and c-section rate going up by 60% in an induction. Yes, it is also painful. So you go through the pain and added risk for no reason. Please, do you research and DON'T let them do this to you and your baby"!!!!!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:53 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It does not hurt to have your water broken, however once your water breaks the contractions will become more intense. My water was broken with both my DDs.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 10:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• No but seeing the IVs in your baby because of the infection it can cause is painful. BTDT. Let it happen on it's own.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Let me add that I was already in labor when they broke my water. Both times I came out c-section free and infection free. Both my DDs were born 100% healthy. It was not dangerous at all when I had mine done. I think if the dr does it right and once you are already in labor there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 11:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• don't listen too all this people it does not hurt your baby too have the water broken by doctors i am 27yrs old and healthy and on my second child and doctors did that too my mom when she had me with some babies the water doesn't brake on its own so they have to do it for you i would talk too your doctor before they do so i know now that if they do brake the water they watch you very closely and give you iv meds too make sure all is ok with baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• the water doesn't brake on its own so they have to do it for you

Why? My youngest was born en caul meaning my water never broke. He's my healthiest kid so far. We just opened the bag and took it off of his head once it was delivered.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• they broke my water when i was already in labor w my first..i wasnt progressing..i dont know if it hurts becuase i was already numb from the waist down.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It does not hurt, if you are already in labor it just helps speed things up. I had it done with my first and I didn't feel anything but my contractions that were 2 min apart.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It doesn't hurt. I have been incued three times 2x at 37 weeks and 1x at 38 weeks and I have never had a csection. My inductions were a million times easier than natural labor and faster.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2009