cursive, lost art?

I am shocked at how little cursive is taught now (in my city at least). My son it seems was lucky enought to have an elementary school that taught it extensively. He is in middle school now and he says a lot of kids don't know how to do it cuz they weren't taught at all or not very much. What the hell? I know the world has gone high tech but come on!! Am I the only one who feels this?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 11:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm with you on this one. I think what's worse than not being able to write it is not being able to read it! My mom teaches in a junior high school; she has lovely handwriting, but she says the kids complain they can't read it when she writes on the board in cursive.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I only know how to sign my name in cursive, trying to do a sentence in it, I would be totally lost. We wasn't really taught in school how to do it. We was taught Spanish though from a young age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My handwriting stinks now that I have a computer and have used it more than writing. Strange how that happens. I thought I used to have nice handwriting, now it's horrible b/c I hardly every need to write, let alone in cursive anymore! I know it is awful. I want my kiddos to learn how to write in cursive too!
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 11:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I am now dealing with the cursive thing. We moved from one state to the other. In the last state cursive was taught in 4th grade, here it is taught in 3rd. My son started 4th grade this year and missed out on the cursive writing. I brought it up to the school and they won't even discuss it until conference. I would think they would want to get him started right away sense he is so behind. It's like they don't care. My sister is 22 and can not read or write in cursive becouse of that some reason. I'll be damned if I let that happen to him.

mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 11:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I never head of that. Here it is a 3rd grade standard. And they are required to use it all through highschool.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 1:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It was in Texas and he was in special class becouse of behavior. He has adhd , tourette, ocd and an anxiety problelm. I wonder if that is why he was not taught??
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 1:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• here is a link to a news article on it http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/1505448-p2.html
    Your right many schools are no longer teaching it. I think it's sad
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I know some districts are dropping it, claiming it is an "art". My mom was shocked when she found out the schools in Oregon don't teach it at all.
    I'm in California and our schools still teach it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My daughter started learning it at the very end of 2nd grade. They began seriously learning it in 3rd grade. Now she's in 4th and a majority of their school work has to be written in cursive.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 5:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• we don't teach it to our boys unless they want- which none of them have. My boys can sign their names in cursive, but I don't make them learn beyond that. I do work on READING it though. So they willl be able to read cursive.

As long as a child can read and write I don't think it matters if they use cursive or or print. Whichever works best for them
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2009