could the vicodin the doc gave me make baby sleep bc i breast feed

So I just had my my baby on Valentines Day ! How exciting that was :) I have a million questions but I will start with this one first.. I'm breastfeeding and the baby is sleeping a lot. Is it normal for him to sleep so much? Could the vicodin that the doctor gave me make him more sleepy because I'm breastfeeding?

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 11:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have nursed both my children and after my daughter I also got a prescription. I had severe cramping, which is common when nursing after delivery. it is fine. I also had to have them later for an injury. it is fine as long as you are not taking more then prescribed. people that say no no, are more on the side you should never take anything... there are people out there that think an epidural is bad. it is their opinion. thats is. there is no medical reason why you should not relieve your pain studies show only a minumal amount pass through milk. Babies sleep. until he is not looking to nurse, dont worry. if he is thriving he should be nursing at least every 3 or 4 hours..sometimes more. if he is going hours then I would consult your doctor or lactation nurse at the hospital about nursing advice. its NOT the medicine.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Congrats on the new baby. My little one did nothing but sleep for the first week or so. When she was eating, getting a diaper...anything. Giving birth is really traumatizing to them and it takes a while to recover. Take advantage of it now, because soon she'll want you too hold her 24 hours a day and you'll NEVER get anything done!! Good luck momma, and remember to sleep when that baby sleeps! You'll recover much faster...
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• YES, that's all they do is sleep for the first month or so. If The DR. said it's ok to take the vicodin, i bet it's just fine. I'm assuming it's for pain? Maybe you could try advil if the pain is not bad enough, or another over the counter pain reliever if you worried that the baby is getting some through the breast milk.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• BF with vicodin? Did you tell them u were BF'ing? I don't know if that is even safe. Call a DR now to find out, it could be why the baby is sleeping too much and who knows if it can harm the baby or not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Oh yeah, as long as your doctor knows your breastfeeding than the vicodin she should be fine...whether it would make her sleepy or not, I don't know.
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• no no no! They are not suppose to give you vicodin when you are BF!!!! That is bad!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• congrats on baby!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Vicodin while bfing is fine. I did it, and my dd is perfectly healthy! Babies don't do much for the first few weeks. It was a little boring to me, lol. I always sat around watching her, waiting for her to do something...or atleast to wake up and look at me... lol. I pretty much spent alot of time doing nothing! But I was so amazed with her! Congrats mommy!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 11:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Thank you so much ladies! ill be asking more questions after this feeding
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 1:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009