If you have an addictive personality, what STRANGE things have you been addicted to?

I was addicted to buying porcelain dolls in my early 20's. I even paid $500 for a hand-made one that was for sale in the little antique shop in the concourse of the Pentagon when I worked there (it was put on layaway and I made payments). I had maybe 20 dolls and have sold them throughout the years and now I only have two left.

I was addicted to Harry Potter fanfiction for 3 years- read it, wrote it and was obsessed with it. It caused some arguments between my husband and myself. For some reason me writing erotic fanfiction was just too much for him to bear (maybe he didn't realize he married a pervert and it was a shock to him- I don't know).

I was addicted to WAHM cloth diapers for 2 years and then WAHM cloth trainers for a year- I could not stop selling my old ones to buy news ones I thought were cute. I was actually depressed when my son didn't need diapers any longer because they're not as cute as cloth trainers.

As of right now, I am addicted to buying handmade soaps- goat milk soap and hand-milled herbal ones especially. I have a stash of about 30 bars right now and use a bar a week and also shred some to use in my home-made laundry detergent. I look on-line daily to find new scents and I can't stop myself from buying more.

Seems my addictions/obsessions have a 3 year life span and then I move onto the next one. I wonder what will come next? I guess as long as it's not drugs, alcohol or porn, I'm fine.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2014 in Just for Fun

• I don't think that's really an addiction. More like collecting. Anyway, I used to collect ceramic halcyon boxes from England, Waterford Crystal, Teddy Bears, Mackenzie Childes, Jewelry and more. Then I had kids & now all we collect are toys! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• I collect depression ware and carnival glass
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• ^^funlovin! Does any of your glass glow under black light (uranium)? My Mom has a few pieces of that & it's beautiful!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• Yup. I have about six pieces that do!!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• Gotta love Vaseline glass :D
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• Anything TIGGER. I have figurines, stuffed, bouncy toys, pencils, yo-yos ... you name it, I probably have it.

Frogs but not as bad as Tigger.

Pens ... when we moved in with MIL, I literally had two coffee maker boxes of pens, markers, high lighters and pencils. I have since thrown a bunch which is technically a break-through for me since I used to not be able to throw them away.

Penny Press puzzle books ... again, boxes of them and I have a problem throwing them away.

Books ... paperback, hardback, doesn't matter. I literally cried when we were flooded and I lost 100s of books. Thank goodness for Kindle ... now I have 800+ books and they are all in one place!

I think that's enough besides, I'm running out of characters. LOL
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• It's an addiction if you can't control it- and at times, I have not been able to control myself when buying items even if I went into debt doing it.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• this isn't really all that strange but i have a serious addiction to 31 products. i want to blow all of my commission payments on new stuff lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• I used to be addicted to shopping. Clothes, shoes, jewelry, sunglasses, watches, socks, underwear, tee shirts, make up, hair accessories and more. I've since given up shopping and only buy what I need.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2014

• I don't really collect anything or have a shopping habit, but when I was working on my novel, I would sometimes get so immersed that I would write to the exclusion of all else. Like I wouldn't want to stop to eat or fix meals for my then husband, or when people came over, I wouldn't want to get off the computer and talk to them. Sometimes I'd have trouble remembering what day or what season it was. I'd be writing about something that happened in the winter, and then I'd be surprised when I went outside to take out the trash and it was a hot summer day. I was writing once about a kid who attempted suicide, and it was so hard to shake off that it took a good half hour after coming out of the spell to remember that my life was okay.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2014