How could I get my toddler to sleep faster? Help!

Okay, I have a hard time putting my toddler to sleep. I tried everything, but maybe not, so I need your help. I give her bath, read to her, sing, rub her back. After all that, she's still hyper and takes her at least one hour to sleep sometimes two hours. Any idea what I could do to get her to sleep faster? Thanks!

erlsk

Asked by erlsk at 11:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she still napping during the day? Maybe her nap time needs to be adjusted a little earlier. Maybe she needs more play time before dinner. I would say play, eat, bath, book, nigh-nigh time. As long as she is in her bed playing and you're not constantly going in there, then I say let her play. If she is content by her self and can put herself down then you are golden. Are you a stay at home Mom or do you work all day? If you are at work all day then she's probably just starving for your attention and misses you, and in that case give it to her. Your love and attention is worth more in the long run than going to bed at a certain time. If she is getting enough sleep and isn't grumpy the next day, then maybe lay her down just a little later if it doesn't take away to much time from your hubby time ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sometimes that happens when they are overtired. What time is she going to bed? If you hit her "window" or the right time her body wants to go to sleep she would prob. go down easier. I would make a rountine and stick to it. The routine shouldn't really be over 45 min. So if you stay in there and keep doing things to try to get her to relax maybe you are inhibiting her from hitting her "window".
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2009