My dad just passed away, and i would like to know who has legal rights to his remains? Me ( his oldestdaughter) or my Aunt and Uncle?

TheCatWho

Asked by TheCatWho at 11:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm so sorry. You do, next of kin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I am so sorry for your loss and for the fact that it sound like there is some tiff going on. You sure don't need that. I think Anon is right though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I am very sorry for your loss. We recently lost our grandfather and went through a similar situation. You are the next of kin.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You do

Answer by gemgem at 11:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My condolences. The executor to his estate has legal rights to his body.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My condolences on your loss.If you are executer of the estate then you. It usually goes spouse, kids, other family.They may be able to contest you incourt over it even if you do have the rights.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Why do you need his remains? Didn't his body go to a funeral home to have a wake or be cremated?? When my father died in my home , the funeral home people came to our home, took him, and took care of everything... Then his cremated remains were buried at the cemetary by our Mom....I guess I could be a bit confused... I'm so sorry for your loss....
    Anonymous

• I am a licensed advisor for the funeral home in our area and YOU have the initial rights to his remains. I am assuming you mean his ashes. The order or rights is: spouse then eldest to youngest child. Here's the catch. IF there was cremation paperwork signed, authorizing Mr. Smith to be the only one to pick up the ashes, Mr. Smith gets the ashes. There are some legalities that can take place but otherwise you get his remains. Send me a message with the details you are concerned about. My sincere condolences.
    Mrs.Phillips007

Answer by Mrs.Phillips007 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2009