So. taking your kids to reading time at the library?

I want to get my dd out & do story time at the library, play groups, mommy & me stuff... BUT im horrified! Im a super shy person & am so worried at what may go wrong. Tantrums. Bad Manners. Ect.
Anyone else like this? How has activities with your toddler went?
HELP :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well - EVERY kid has bad days. I realized that when I found myself holding my breath and hoping my child wouldn't pitch a fit after seeing another child doing it. Other moms aren't looking at my fit-throwing child and thinking things like "what a brat" or "that's a terrible mom". They are looking at my child and thinking "oh gosh I hope mine doesn't act up this trip" and "good for that mom, she's not giving in".
    The other thing I've found is to evaluate the activity and my child. We don't do storytimes at the library or bookstore. Why? Because my child has a very high energy level and won't sit still for it. Instead, we are in active Mommy & Me classes like toddler gymnastics and PlayBall.
    I also don't hesitate to stay home if she didn't sleep well the night before. The stress of trying to make an overtired child "enjoy" an activity isn't worth it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You should check with the library sometimes they have things set up like reading groups, story time etc and they are normally free. I would start there because if anyones going to throw a tantrum itll be in a group so it might be less embaressing. My kids love the library. My 9 yr old ecspecially does. We can spend 4-5 hours a day there and he started going when he was 3.

Answer by gemgem at 11:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I am right there with you. I am also super shy and I hate being in a crowd. I have been hindered by this many times. What I have braved it to do has been fine. Good luck and try not to fret, every thing will be better than anticipated I am sure.

mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 11:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• HA HA. Every kid is different and you aren't going to know how they will act unless you go. I tried that with my first and left in the middle when he was having a screaming fit over giving a star back that was passed around to everyone. I would have gone back but there were other kids there not in the age group that the parents brought probably because they didn't have a sitter and it was distracting to the other kids I believe. I was embarrassed too.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sometimes it goes well, and sometimes it doesn't. I think most other moms who are there with their own small children will understand this, and you can always leave if things are going badly (other moms will understand this too). If we do go somewhere I always try to make sure they are well rested and well-fed to give us the best chance at having a good time. Generally my toddlers are so excited about the change in scenery that they are very well-behaved, but occaisionaly we end up leaving. It's definitely worth the effort.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My DD who just turned 2, started story hour at our library 2 weeks ago. She is in a class of 2-3 year olds. Bella gets something different out of the class than the 3 year olds do. She doesn't care to sit quietly and listen to the story, she fidgets and wiggles. But she loves the "play your instrument time" and craft time and bubble time. She's not "bad", but she doesn't hold her attention as well as the 3 year olds. I suggest you at least try some things, to see what your child can and will do. I'm shy myself, but I just know it's best for DD to socialize some.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 2:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You will never know if you dont try it out. Its o.k if she throws a tantrum or misbehaves... most moms have been there and they understand. There is nothing to be embarassed over it. If you feel its not going well, you can always cut it short and return home and reason with her and let her know she will always have to return home if she is not behaving.
    My 2 yr old enjoys outdoors except on weekdays. She goes to day care and doesn't want to leave home in the evening as she is missing home a lot by then. On weekends she gets bored if I have her home all day, I take her to library, shopping, little gym etc and she usually has a blast. Sometimes she does throw a tantrum usually if she gets hungry or falls and hurts herself etc.. so have some snacks and water ready so you can tend to her needs and they also serve as excellent source of distration... if your daughter enjoys eating that is... Mine defenitely does.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 2:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i just started storytime at the library with my twins. they have a birth-23 month class which we go to now, and in a couple months we'll switch to the 2-3 year class. i was scared to go too--i was just picturing some sweet little lady sitting in a rocking chair reading books while my twins were tearing all the books off the shelves! i made myself go, though, and it was awesome! they actually have it in a big conference room at the library, so the kids can't really tear anything up. they put down playmats and toys, play music, sing songs, read books...it is really great. you should definitely check into it. mine haven't had any tantrums yet, but if they do i don't think it'll be a big deal. worst case i'd have to leave early, but that's no big deal, i'll just say sorry, we'll try again next week. i'm just now getting brave enough to do stuff by myself with them, though.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2009