Why do you care so much if kids are saying- or not saying the Pledge at school?

Why does it have to be said at SCHOOL? Why can't you say it with them before they leave in the mornings? Why is it a school thing and not a family thing?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2014 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know. Honestly, I don't like the idea of my child indoctrinated with the pledge before he's old enough to determine for himself how he feels about patriotism and all that. Not enough to ask him to be excused from the exercise or to make a fuss, but enough to admit that I don't really like it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• I posted about this a few weeks ago and got some really wonderful answers. I was deeply touched by some of them. About how young children are collectively learning the foundational importance of the flag in their lives that they will later build on, even if they don't understand all of the words, and about how the sacrifices of servicemen are celebrated in different local schools. I can't repeat everything here, but I was really inspired. If you are interested, look back in the closed questions during the last few weeks. I don't remember the title, but the post has my name on it, and it has to do with reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and school.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• I put it in that category of things people think they have to do because they don't know any better. I view it more as a trick - an excuse to make every kid shut up and calm down. They could accomplish the same thing by having them recite the Gettysburg Address or the lyrics to Wrecking Ball. It might actually work better if they did use something age appropriate and educational.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• Because I believe in my country and all that it stands for. I believe that if you live here you should believe in it too. I also believe that children as well as adults should at least learn it and what it means to be an American.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• Ballad, America is the land and the people and the sacrifices those in the past have made can be taught and revered without worshiping a symbol and parroting some lines written by a Socialist and changed to exclude non-god believing Americans. I don't understand why people think a symbol is necessary- can't you remember the past without one? Can't you be thankful for sacrifices without one? I view flag worship as religious and therefore, should have no place in public schools- if you want your child to say it, then say it at home with them.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• It doesn't really matter to me.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• Dardenella, you can learn ALL of that and believe in all of that without saying a Pledge to a Flag, can't you? The Pledge is actually unnecessary. What's in your heart is what matters. To me, a piece of material and a few phrases written by someone else doesn't mean as much as how I PERSONALLY feel about the US. Why parrot something written by someone else and be told that if you don't feel the same as they did, you're not a true American? Why care about a symbolic flag when I can care about the land and the people without it?
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• I see nothing wrong with saying the Pledge of Allegiance to American in American schools. Now if you're debating the whole "under God" statement I might have different feelings. The Pledge is not a prayer, but I do see how it might feel awkward/unfair for students who do not believe in God or believe in a different god.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• to America*
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2014

• maecntpntz219- that 'under god' Constitutional violation really does tick me off even more, but I see the whole ceremony- the hand over the heart, the reciting of words someone else wrote, the eye contact with the symbolic material as worshiping- even cult-like.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2014