How would you say is the best way to handle this?

I have 3 children (7 y.o. boy, a girl that will be 2 y.o. on Feb. 15th, & a 4 week old boy) well my daughter has a baby doll she takes everywhere and does everything I do with her baby brother to her baby when I am (change diapers, burp, giving bottles, ex.) Well I was having trouble with producing milk so wasn't breastfeeding at first but I started seeing a lactation specialist which has help so now I'm breastfeeding more to where I only have to give my son 1-2 bottles. Well the othe day my daughter was quite in her room so I went in to check on her and she was sitting on her bed with no shirt with her pillow on her lap and holding her baby so I asked what are you doing she said "feeding baby" so I just said "o ok" and walked out then told my husband about it. We agreed that we don't want to make her feel like its a bad thing because there's nothing wrong with breastfeeding but is it ok for a 2 year old to play do it? And how would be the best way to talk to her about it?

Sorry its so long.

Jasmommie

Asked by Jasmommie at 6:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2014 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I would not want to make it a bad thing. But I would inform her she is pretending to breast feed . Not like you, you are really doing it for the baby. So she needs to keep her shirt on when doing it. I says this. Just in case she wants to pretend in public.

Answer by louise2 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• Yes, it's OK. Nothing to talk to her about. It is perfectly normal and doesn't need comment.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• Why wouldn't it be ok to instill in her young mind the real function of breasts?

wild_kitten

Answer by wild_kitten at 6:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• I wouldn't even bring it up. It's perfectly natural and normal and, really, pretty sweet
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 6:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• Sweet and cute and fine.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• perfectly natural for a little girl to mimic her mother.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• Keep her shirt on probably incase someone else is there, other than that I would not worry about it
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• It is great. Encourage it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• She is just trying to imitate what you are doing. I would agree about keeping shirt on, because chances are she will try to do it in public. Nothing wrong with it though. My son does what I do with the baby doll. Recently after I changed him he tried to change her diaper (we don't have doll diapers) and he got mad because he couldn't fit his diaper on her. He also tries to feed her, he rocks her, and sings to her; because I do all that with him.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2014

• Thank you everyone, and we don't have an issue with it (obviously when I am breastfeeding) just the taking the shirt off. I wouldn't want her going back to daycare next week (for the first time since having the baby) and taking her shirt off. Thank you louise2 for giving me an idea of how best to explain it to her to help avoid that.
    Jasmommie

Comment by Jasmommie (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2014