13 months and using the potty...too soon?

My son is 13 months old and my sister bought him a really cute little froggy potty (mostly to have at my house for her children but also for him when he is older) well the other day i was just curious to see what he would do if i sat him on it and to my surprise he peed in the potty i thought oh my but thought it was just good timing so we tried it again later and he did it again. he has been doing it about 4 times a day or everytime i put him on it for the past 3 days. i know hes not old enought o tell me when he needs to go or anything i just want to know :

is it a total waste of time to even be doing this right now?

im not activly trying to potty train him i just want him to get used to the idea so its not so scary when the time does come and i dont want him to be stressed about it.

when and how did you start potty training your boys? thanks any advice would be appreciated..

jaxonsmmy

Asked by jaxonsmmy at 11:38 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont think so.. But I have heard with Potty Training its better to have them start to late then to early I am not sure why but I do remember reading it somewhere. But If he is doing it maybe just have him do it when he does like what you said and still wear his diapers.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:42 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't stress using it, but if he does, praise him like crazy. It may just be a fun toy for him now. 13 months is really early for a boy to potty train. Just so you know, there will be times when he will regress back to going in diapers or pull ups, then use the potty a lot again.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:43 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I never could condone hindering a child's ability in any way. Maybe he is just really early. I wouldn't stress over it but I would let him go on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• im not pushing it by any means he just thinks its fun. i dont expect him to potty triained and earlier than the "norm" but i just think it might help in the long run for him to already be a familiar with the potty. thanks for your input
    jaxonsmmy

Answer by jaxonsmmy at 11:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Even though you weren't initially trying, your are potty training him now. Once you start don't stop. It will be confusing. Just keep doing what you are doing. You might try to catch him in the act of pooping some time and put him on the potty or take his dirty diaper and dump the poop in the potty and tell him that's where he can poop too! It's still going to take a lot of time to potty train him but he has shown you that he knows and wants to use the potty so just go with the flow! You'll be able to tell over time what step he is ready for next. He'll start communicating to you what he wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It's not a waste. From all the potty training books and posts I've read, one of the biggest mistakes parents make is expecting their child - no matter how old when they start - to tell them when they have to go. Kids WON'T tell you, even when they can talk. And if you ask, they say "NO".
    So, just keep him on a good set schedule and take him. Eventually, he'll be willing to tell you he has to go. That will probably be in a year and a half. Why so long? He has to be old enough to be willing to stop playing, to leave his beloved toys, and go to the boring bathroom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Roo was fully trained at 14 months, so no 13 months is not necessarly too early. If he's able to realize when he needs to go and communicate that to you then its not too early. If he can't tell you he needs to go or if he doesn't know he needs to go then it is too early.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• That is great. I wish that I would have started much earlier then I did. Maybe then I wouldn't have this regression issue now. If you can get him to say potty, I would say continue what you are doing. He's going to pick this up fast. I have read one article that said better late than early but I have read many many more that say the earlier the better. it is easier when they aren't strong willed and stubborn and trying to be independent yet. It will be one less area of rebellion if it's done early. KEEP IT UP!!!
    aridgeway

Answer by aridgeway at 2:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2009