Coughing up bloody mucus?

What could that mean, is it something serious? I've had a cough for about a month with a sore throat and the last few days I've been coughing mucus but today I did it twice and it was like a blob of blood.

ImNotASheep08

Asked by ImNotASheep08 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Health

• go to the hospital or call your doctor something might be wrong
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I would get it checked... go into google.com and type in coughing up blood... you will get some info. on what it might be.....
    Lil4babies

Answer by Lil4babies at 12:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• There are many reasons you could be coughing up blood. One being that you have broken blood vessels in the back of your throat from coughing so much and another could be pneumonia. Of course there's a whole list of reasons to add but you really need to call your MD and make an appointment just to make sure all is well. I wish you the best.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My sister coughed up bloody mucus and she had a pulmonary embolism. I'm not trying to scare you, but she nearly died. You need to see a doctor to have it checked out. Good luck.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Ok thanks, I'm going to get it checked out tonight. I'm thinking it's a respitory infection or my throat because I have been coughing a lot and my throat is irritated.
    ImNotASheep08

Answer by ImNotASheep08 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009