How ca I get my 3 year old to potty train? He is too distracted to notice when he has to go if he has underwear on and he refuses to poop in the potty.

I want him to be able to start pre-k in August but i need him potty trained first. I have tried letting him run around naked and keeping up with asking him about going. I have tried the reward system. I have run out of ideas.

garanslove

Asked by garanslove at 11:50 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try getting someone else to train him. I was working on my DS for a while. Then, I let him stay with my mother, out of state, for a month. (non-potty related) In that new environment and with my mom, he took great steps in his potty training. Just be careful who you enlist. DS had a few accidents at my parents place and my dad gave him a really hard time about pooping his pants. When I got my DS back, he was terribly constipated and ashamed to poop. We worked on it and now he's good to go. Good luck!
    chesiretuff

Answer by chesiretuff at 11:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Don't ask him if he has to go and don't expect him to tell you. He's too distracted and he won't want to leave his toys. Simply say "It's time to sit on the potty!" at regualr intervals. If you notice him doing the the "potty dance" - simply say "It's time to sit on the potty!".
    The preschools generally don't expect kids to ask to go because most of the kids won't ask - they simply take all the kids on a set schedule. Do the same.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i used to watch him to see when he had to go and tell hiim I race you there... My son got a kick out of that... Did you tell him if he wants to go to school and play with friends he has to learn how to use the potty....... the race worked for me though I never lost a pound.. LOL
    Lil4babies

Answer by Lil4babies at 12:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Is he in pull-ups at all? You said he runs around naked, but when clothed is wearing a pull-up then he would be majorly confused. Pull ups are just glorified, expensive diapers. Make sure he is in underpants when clothed and continue with taking him on a timed schedule, using rewards for success. Maybe your reward is not what he really wants! Also, with the pooping in the potty, this is for some reason a problem for lots of kids. Make sure he has a stool or something under his feet when sitting to have a BM. If his feet are dangling and he can't doesn't feel secure to be able to "push" he may feel not stable on the toilet. Give him some books to look at. If he has ever been constipated and it "hurt" to go, he might be thinking that it will hurt every time. Make sure he can go easily.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2009