eating

My son is 14 months old and he loves eating with his fingers all of the time but sometimes he will eat with a fork only if you put the food on it for him, he doesn't know to do it on his own and the same goes for a spoon. He has a hard time using the spoon because everytime he gets to his mouth everything falls off. So I want to know what is the easy way of teaching my son how to use a fork and spoon when eating certain foods.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just keep offering him the utensils.
    I was worried too and looked up advice from several sources. This is a breakdown of what I found:
    By a year, kids are learning how.
    By 2 years, they CAN but don't want to. It's more important to the child to get the food into the mouth as quickly as possible. You just keep encouraging and reminding them to use the spoon or fork.
    By 2.5 years, you start insisting. You give them a warning or two and then you end the meal.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Just keep giving him the fork and spoon, let him try to use it on his own or help him get it to his mouth with food on. They do make different spoons that are curved and those helped my daughter a lot, she's almost 16 months old and eats cereal with her spoon! :)
    hanasmommie

Answer by hanasmommie at 12:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Just keep offering it to him. He will get it eventually, don't force it. He sees what you are doing and wants to do it too but needs practice. Just keep giving it to him and don't push and he will get the hang of it. It takes a while so don't worry, 14 months is right on track for what he is doing.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Work with the fork....easier to stab food!

Don't worry about the spoon until later. Let him have one to work, sure...but don't worry about him using it right now.

All three of my boys used a fork first....put the fork in his hand with yours over it...stab food and put in his mouth. He'll get it very quickly.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Just keep giving them to him. He'll get it eventually.
    For the spoon, try foods that are thick and don't come off easily like mashed potatoes or cheerios mixed with yogurt.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2009