Would it be bad of me to take a Xanax?

I use to get a prescription for Xanax's for anxiety & my nervous breakdowns. I haven't been back to the doctor lately because money has been tight & I don't have insurance. I have a friends that always gets them from her doctor & I've been going through alot of stress & emotional problems right now. She came over yesterday & we talked about how I've been feeling lately , so she gave me one of her pills. I know it's illegal to share meds like that. I haven't taken it yet & they don't affect me in a bad way to where I'm not able to take care of my children or anything , so I was wondering if it's a bad idea for me to take it today. I'm just feeling really over welmed & would like something to help with my nerves & depression. What do you think? Please don't bash me... I need help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• So what is one pill going to do for you? Nothing, really. Don't take it. Its not yours and you'll just want more.
    Anonymous

• you really need to go and see someone, regardless of you income or not. Because if you get busted for taking someone elses controlled substance, you can get into HUGE trouble. I am on xanax.. and I wouldn't give it to anyone else, just because I wouldn't want to be held liable..
    Anonymous

• What I AM SAYING-is that taking one pill is not going to help you manage your anxiety. It will catch up with you again and again you'll want another pill.

But it sounds like you've already made up your mind.
    Anonymous

• It does sound like you need more than one pill to help you. This sounds like self-medication. Have you thought about applying for Medicaid? I know there is a certain amount of pride that you may feel is damaged by doing so, but it's there for cases like this. If you feel that bad you need to find a way to see a doctor. Taking meds for anxiety is something that should be supervised by a doctor, they can make sure that you are not abusing the meds.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with taking it if you've had previous experience with the drug and know what it will do to your system. I also agree with the other posters on here than say that you need to see a doctor. Taking one leads to taking more, and you dont want to be going around illegally taking someone else's prescription forever. If it's bad enough to make you take the one pill, then its bad enough to get some help for. Good luck, I know Medicaid has an approval system for people who already have medical bills that they can't pay, you can PM me for help if you want but if you go to the hospital for the anxiety and you are low income then Medicaid will pay the bill and put you on insurance.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I understand about not having insurance and needing your meds. I take Wellbutrin for depression. It takes a good two weeks to help me out. One thing you can do immediately is start walking or jogging every day for thirty minutes. That is free and you will get some seratonins, which is what most of the antidepressants have going for them. Also, depending on where you live, you may qualify for county health assistance in addition to Medicaid. usually the county mental health department has a shorter wait for services and is low cost, not free, but cheape than a doctor without insurance. You can also go to a in-pharmacy doctor's clinic like CVS Minute Clinic. For about $50 and the cost of the meds you can see a doctor and get a prescription. http://www.minuteclinic.com/en/USA/. Good luck; I know you can do it! You have posted here and asked for help. First step!
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I may be the odd one out, but I say go ahead and take it, you obviously need it, and you it's not like taking it to get high. But I would also suggest that you try to find a way to get a prescription because your symptoms sound severe and I think it would be best.
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 1:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Find a free clinic in your area.
    medicmomof2

Answer by medicmomof2 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2009