Smoking Harmful?

My dh refuses to believe that smoking around others put them in danger. He says its just as bad as riding in the car and breathing in exhaust. He really really hates when people tell him different. I disagree with him. Whats your opinion and why?

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 12:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Health

• Smoking IS harmful. It leads to many diseases and a burden on our society when these people get sick with smoking related illnesses. Nevermind that it is disgusting.

He is in denial.
    Anonymous

• Being around second-hand smoke is BAD! However, your husband does have a good point:)
    Anonymous

• Studies have shown it increases the risk for SIDs in children. Asthma rates in 80's sky rocketed due to parents smoking in the home but dropped in the 90's and continue to do so as parents shelter their children from smoke.
    And if that doesn't work ask your man if he wants to be an old smoker. Have you ever seen one all whezzy, yellow gnarled teeth. Heck it even yellow their skin.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Smoking is harmful to those around you. It is not as bad as breathing in the exhaust from another car around you. The second hand smoke is more potent then the smoke that they are breathing in. Cigarettes have in excess of 200 carcinogens (cancer causing agents) in them and for a smoker they are filtered and for non smokers we get it all. I think that he should do a little research through the American Lung Association before he gets all high and mighty about it. I did a research project on this in HS. I don't remember all the stats but it is insane the damage that second hand smoke can cause.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My aunt died a few years back of lung cancer. She suffered terribly for two years. She never smoked. Her husband did.

Answer by Bmat at 1:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Smoking is harmful. 2nd hand smoke is worse. My mom has COPD, but she never smoked!!! She is only in her 40's Her grandma and her parents smoked and thay is why she got it.
    Anonymous

• How can he seriuosly believe that? My son is asthmatic and whenever he walks by someone who is smoking, he will start coughing and it will turn in to an asthma attack. He has learned to walk as far away as possible and hold his breath. That is just heartbreaking that a CHILD has to do that because someone else chooses to share their cancer stick!
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 1:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Smoking is disgusting and soooo harmful to one's health(the smoker)and their loved ones(who dont ask to take in that poison) It is very harmful to little ones as well. I had my son's pediatrician tell my hubs that he needed to stop smoking asap. It causes respiratory disease and distress in babies even. If you are a smoker and others do no want to be exposed to it,have the courtesy to NOT do it while you're around them. Secondary smoke can kill.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 2:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• how is breathing in exhaust not harmful? I'm finding that analogy difficult to understand the point he is trying to make. I'm also one of those people who doesn't use household cleaners like Clorox, Windex, and other chemicals because of the toxins. I also go organic because of the xenoestrogen effects of pesticides and hormones. I have never allowed smoking in my house & have been married to a smoker (not current hubby). My parents smoked in the house when I was a kid & whenever I go home (I am military so live hours away) my eyes, throat, and lungs all burn. I always leave there sick. I won't be staying there any more because my kids don't need to deal with that.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2009