Should I take him to the Dr? Can they even do anything?

My son, almost 5 months old, has had a cold he got from his sister for over a week now. It's not so much a cold as a lot of snot. Well when he goes to lay down the snot starts bothering him which makes him cry. =( Well if we can't calm him down quick enough he projectile vomits. I've gotten good at seeing the signs of it coming so he pukes in the trash can....but how can I help him? Would the Dr. be any help with the dang snot?

Navymama

Asked by Navymama at 12:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Awww...I'm sorry your little guy is sick. When in doubt I call the doctor now....especially since I THOUGHT my daughter just had a cold last week and it turned out that she had a double ear infection and pneumonia! Just have him checked out is my advice...and if it's nothing...it just puts your mind at ease.
    kasek

Answer by kasek at 5:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Just call the doctors office to see if you can give him any nose drops... Or talk to one of the nurses on their lines. I don't think its something to make an appointment for though!
    Anonymous

• Probably nothing they can do about it. Just keep sucking the boogers out. I would call and see if there are any nose drops that you can use like neosynephrine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My 5 month old is congested too, have you tried saliene spray and a humdifer. The advice nurse also told me to have him sleep in his carseat, so he is in a semi reclined position.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• We keep Vick's on him, the humidifier going and we're using the little noses nasal spray/drops. I was just hoping there was something more. =(

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I agree w/ FuzNet. Keep him reclined. And suck out as much as you can before he goes to sleep.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 1:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• When Amelia got Calvin's cold, they said I could only use saline on her & then suck it out. Keep him upright as much as possible, even if that means sleeping with him on your chest for a night or 2. Spray everything in your house with Lysol to stop the germs from spreading further. Hope he feels better soon!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Get saline spray made by Lil Noses. It'll do a total nasal flush. Your son will hate it but it will help him so much. Do it just before putting him down to sleep and suck the snot out. I have a bulb syringe that has a larger opening and I find it to be perfect for snot. I got it as a gift though so I can't help you in telling you where to get one. Also, closing one nostril while sucking the other is more productive when sucking out the snot. Run a humidifier and try to prop him up to sleep (like a carseat if he doesn't mind it. You can also put towels or pillows under one side of the mattress to prop him up. But really your baby is too young for any medicines for the cold; and to answer your question, no, the doc probably won't be able to do anything for him. The good news is that it should be going away soon now that it's been a week.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• make sure he's drinking enough, use pedilyte if u think he might become dehydated, and use saline for his nose that' all u can do. u can also get the vapor bath that will help sooth him and open him nose a little bit. hope this help
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 4:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My 6 m/o DD just got over it....She had it for about a week. We did menthol baths baby vicks on the chest and feet (which is OK), little noses saline and sucked out the snot. Tylenol for the fever. theres nothing that the doc can do or give them when they are that little. Good luck,. Just give him a warm bath and suck his nose and he will get better. It just has to run its course. it sux to see them go thru that.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2009