Do any of your 10-11 yrs of age girls have "boyfriends" aka someone they like at school and that like them but they dont really talk to each other because they are still too shy and young?

Mine has one and I think it is because some of her friends do and she is following the crowd. I want to have her be comfortable coming to me with things so I don't want to banish her from having a BF but at the same time I don't want her to have one - she is way too young. I don't want her to be sneaky about things. As she is growing up I feel like we argue more and she has an attitude and seems to be nice when she wants something or depending on her mood. She is a girl and it will probably only get worse. But Boys on top of it? ugh... She has a few friends whom I think really do like their BF's and vice versa. V day just past and her friend got her BF (they're 10 yrs old) a tshirt and wanted to buy him a hat too but she was short $5 so didn't. She had $40 to spend. I let my kid get her BF a tshirt for $10 and she didn't even give it to him. He gave her a card that said Love J***. Am I crazy to think this is nuts?

MAMom09

Asked by MAMom09 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not my daughter (12), b/c she is just not interested yet. But my DS (11) has girls calling him all the time and they come over. It is usually 3 girls @ a time. They just stay in the front yard and they are never alone. My other kids are always around as well as 1/2 the neighborhood.
    I don't like it and he insists that they are just friends. I do tell my kids they are not allowed to have boy/girl friends. I tell them that they are too young for that and they need to stay focused on their school and their sports.
    I would never give them $$ to buy gift for V-day, birthday yes, or even Christmas, but not V Day. Sorry if I offend you thats JMO.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 1:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• No your right. That was my initial reaction - I just don't want her to be sneaky. And I don't really think she is really interested either - I think it is more having the status. She is an only child so she doesn't have a lot of distractions when she is home, she gets bored and IM's and hangs with her girlfriends who are nice girls and come from good families. She is very active usually but winter is slow - she does cheer, dance, gymnastics & Tae Kwan Do - just usually from jan-march she is just in dance until things pick back up. I am going to explain to her my feelings about it better. TX
    MAMom09

Answer by MAMom09 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My 10 1/2 yo has a girlfriend. he doesn't even know where she lives. lol. They just like the label bf/gf. I would rather he not have a gf yet, but, like you, don't want to forbid it so he sneaks. I'm not too worried, yet.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• No you are not crazy! I think it is crazy too! My daughter has friends that have "boy friends" and I tell her they are all to young. I think their teacher also keeps this kind of talk out of the classroom as much as she can. My daughter says, "So and so in my class are goin together". My response is always,"Where are they going?"
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I think we are in a unique situation. My 10 yr old does school online at home, but does participate at several regular school functions, including band four days a week. She is also a tomboy and hasn't shown any interest in boys yet (thank goodness). But with talking to teachers at the local school, I have found that the girls she spends time with are into 'boyfriends' and that the boys have noticed her. The teachers have said they thought J was a novelty to the boys because she is herself (she doesn't get all silly and giggly when the boys are around) to them, enjoys most of the same things they do (sports, star wars, pokemon, etc..). I do cringe at the thought of what things will be like she does start to think of having a boyfriend, if she is like me it will hit her suddenly like a ton of bricks.
    Anonymous