How do you feel about this?

A religious fringe group from Topeka, Kansas is coming to Clarence Center and Buffalo, NY on Sunday to picket memorial services for victims of Continental Connection Flight 3407.
Westboro Baptist Church has picketed at funerals of American Soldiers killed in Iraq and Afganistan, as well as President Obama's grandmother's funeral, President Clinton's mother's funeral, Frank Sinatra's funeral, and hate-crime muder victim: Matthew Sheppard, among hundreds of others.
The religious group has long been associated with anti-gay views and members contend that the deaths it pickets are God's punishment for what it considers the nations permissive attitude toward homosexuals.
article was found from the Buffalo News if you want to look up the source.
What are your feelings?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 12:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• WOW is all I can say. I don't know where I've been but I didn't even know this group existed! I went to Google them and I was speechless from the onset. Their website address godhatesfags.com, stunned me right off the bat! I'm shocked. To have peaceful first amendment right protests, is absolutely our constitutional right. HOWEVER, to picket ANY funeral is beyond appalling, it's cold, heartless, disrespectful and no words can explain it! What a shame! What is with these churches, in the name of God and the Bible, to preach hate from the pulpit? Rev. Wright's church, now this. I'm purley shocked! I find it extremely disturbing and offensive! To picket their sermons would give them great pride, how about picketing one of THEIR members funeral?!!!!!!!! Heartless, hate mongers for sure! NOT Christian!!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 3:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Whats their purpose in doing this?
    Anonymous

• Loathe as I am to say it, they are within their legal rights. They are disgusting, despicable human beings, and I would not shed a single tear if their bus rolled over on the drive to NY, but we can't not let them do it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Must have been a gay passenger on board? I dunno, they should be rounded up and sent to the front lines to serve as human shields in Iraq/Afghanistan--they serve no other purpose.
    Anonymous

• NP is right. But, I want to say that I hate them and they are assholes, too.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• They protest everything - this is Westboro Baptist - the same group that protests soldier's funerals and Caylee Anthony's (I read they were going to hers, didn't see if they showed up or not). They don't need anyone gay involved to protest - their stance is that everything bad that happens in the world - every soldier and child that dies, every natural disaster, inlcuding Katrina, happens because the US does not force homosexuals to convert to straight or die, and we are being punished by their loving god.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i cant stand them! they make Christians look like a buncha ignorant, intolerant, crazy ppl.

they protested here in OKC a while back at a soldiers funeral. luckily the service was held on base so they could only stand at the gate. some students from the local colleges showed up with their own signs & protested Westboro Baptist. WB was SOOO pissed, but they couldnt do anything about it. the students held up signs that said "thank you for your service" & "Christians love our soldiers" & "not all Christians are full of hate"...etc.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• They are whack jobs, and they ought to be stopped, however most of them are lawyers who wrap themselves in the first ammendment for free speech and turn their trials into such circuses that judges usually just give them a fine and hope they go away. My son is in the army and if God forbid, he had come home from Iraq in a box, and those pieces of pond scum had picketed his funeral, there would have been some more funerals shortly following!
    Anonymous

• i think there are also some bikers who show up at the soldier funerals to help protect the family & keep the WBC as far from the actual cemetary as possible.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• This group should be called a cult. They use hate-propaganda to brainwash members. They even use innocent children to advertise their message of hate and fear. I am disgusted beyond belief by this "church". They are a blight to Kansas.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 1:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2009